Close behind Jen with a score of five each were my sister Tara and my brother-in-law Kevin. I want to share some of what Kevin wrote because it ties in with my answer which I will post next time.
Kevin wrote about The Princess Bride and compared himself to the main character, Westley. His words:
Throughout this charming fairy tale movie, Westley is driven by one simple motivation--true love. More specifically, true love for his first and only sweetheart, Buttercup....But Westley had another weapon that aided him in these and all his other fantastic adventures and that was the wonderful catch phrase "As you wish". This thoroughly selfless attitude is what I hope and aspire to share with this fairy tale hero.Being a stay-at-home dad gives me plenty of time to be selfish. That's an odd statement, but true. However, I make all the effort I can to mirror Westley's selflessness and to keep our home ship running smoothly and to father our kids to the best of my ability. I imagine that each morning when she leaves, Abby asks me to be the best husband and father I can be and in my mind, I reply "As you wish". I think also that God is, each day tasking me with the responsibilities of reflecting His path and His word in what I do and in my mind, I reply, "As you wish"....
...That's the spirit that keeps me motivated as a stay-at -home dad and why I love my role so much. I get to make Abby's, Cecilia's and Joseph's life as wonderful as possible because that's what they wish and what I wish and because, together, my family is my one true love.
Kevin also made excellent mention of "buckling swashes" and other pirate-like behavior that apparently happens at the new moon in Lenexa, KS. I know I will never be able to watch TPB the same way again. Thank you to Kevin for such a humorous and insightful answer.
Other answers:
Maggie Henkel said that she is most like Alice in Wonderland because she falls asleep when her older sister is talking to her.
Jeffrey Henkel first said that he is Peter Pan because he never wants to grow up and then changed his answer to Edmund from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because Edmund made mistakes and lied but in the end, saw the mistake and chose to be a better person.
Stephen Henkel said that he is like Cinderella because he does chores 24/7 and his siblings treat him like dirt. (I'm sending his mom a very small violin.)
Tim Henkel, Jen's sweet hubby, said he is most like Fred Flintstone because "he screws up all the time but really loves his wife". Much as I like the "loved his wife" part of this answer, I had to disqualify Tim on the grounds that FF is not a fairy tale character or a character from a well known story. In fact, these days, he may be best known as a chewable vitamin :)
Dolores Credeur said that her story would have to be The Lord of the Rings for the war between good and evil. I have to give her answer a thumbs up because, as our blog is named for Frodo, the hero, we consider LOTR an important story in our lives as well.
So that's it. Muchas gracias to everyone who entered. I hope you had as much fun as I did.
My pick, which also happens to be the mystery movie, coming up next!
Ahhh... always a Padawan and never a Jedi. Congrats to the winner :). I'm looking forward to reading your answer, Alice and thanks for the interesting writing challenge. The Princess Bride is a fun film to think on and talk about - it is definitely one of my favorites. However, I've been meaning to ask - would Ren McCormick have qualified as a fairy tale character? Probably not. He is dreamy though. I could have done about 2000 words about me and him!
ReplyDeletethis sparked so much fun conversation at our house....it was such a great idea - thanks! Looking forward to reading yours.
ReplyDelete