Lately, more often than we'd like, the terrible threes have reared their ugly head. And Ella, not getting whatever it is she wants--candy, time on the ipod Touch or just a piggy back ride upstairs--sticks out her bottom lip and gives us the stare. It says, "you can't make me" or "I don't like this" or simply, "no".
Anyone who thinks that kids are born perfect and innocent only to be messed up by their parents needs to see the Ella pout. It is untaught and purely rebellious. Always, along with the pout, she tells me emphatically, "you're not the nicest mama". I'm pretty sure this is the worst thing she can think to say to me. A statement to wound me to the core. Fortunately, her older sisters have helped me develop a bit of toughness. I respond, "well, I'm going for second nicest mama anyway." She doesn't know what to say to that. So, I pick her up, hug her tight and cover her with kisses. I tell her, "You're my favorite Ella".
The Ella look (the war paint was from the swim meet)
I thought those were lipstick marks from your kisses!
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised you don't call this pout "The Sophie". She is definitely channeling her inner mad bunny:)
ReplyDelete