I wrote this post last weekend. Enjoy.
Sunday, May 15
Yesterday was one of those days, fine in every way. It wasn't a special day that we'd looked forward to for any particular reason. Which is why I loved it. It snuck up on me, even bringing me to the point of tears twice. Yesterday, I may have felt what it means to be a "resurrection" person. Life was beautiful, good and victorious.
The day started before 6AM--an inauspicious beginning. Thank God for hot showers and coffee! Our whole motley crew arrived at the South Woodland Hills pool by 6:45 where I kissed them all and headed off to the concession stand for my volunteer shift. The lack of organization was comical as we struggled to take care of customers without ice, drinks or change. I was queen of the cash register--an antique that would add amounts and hold the cash but would not calculate change. I did that in my head while trying to be pleasant to all the swimmers and parents. It was like playing store--surprisingly fun.
The best part of the meet was seeing our newest Wahoo, Sophie, not only join the no-lane-rope club but win both of her races. My heart was literally in my throat when I saw her touch the wall ahead of three other girls in freestyle. She sailed down the lane doing "hot dog"--flipping back and forth from crawl to back stroke. It was beautiful and seamless. Sophie is by far the smallest swimmer on the team. The coaches look out for her and I can tell by the way they are with her that they have a real affection for her. Between watching that and seeing my little baby fight through her nerves and shivers not just to finish but to win.....well, I can't even put it into words.
Back at home, tired girls napped and the house was quiet. I got on my lap top and looked at beach houses for our annual trip to the OBX. I spent a little over an hour checking out options and getting very excited both for the beach and our yearly pilgrimage to VA. A lot to look forward to.
While I was researching, Grace was doing chores and, after finishing those and taking a quick shower, she and I left for some one on one time. Grace is invited to a birthday party at a skating rink next Saturday and I thought it would be a good idea to take her to practice a bit so she wouldn't have to spend the whole party on the rail or the bench.
Roller rinks haven't changed much since the 80s and all the time I spent gliding around under the disco ball back then paid off as I was able to teach Grace to balance and skate (I took a few speedy solo turns for old times sake). She was so brave, taking one fall after another and getting right back up. I felt the second lump in my throat of the day as I watched her train to take on the world. We had a wonderful time.
Chris and I wrapped up the day with a movie from Red Box. Sometimes, that activity ends with me getting mad at whoever wasted the time and money to create that particular film. The Fighter was the most recent movie to get a huge thumbs down from the Casa Doyle critics. Life As We Know It surprised me by being good and entertaining--if a bit formulaic. We stayed up too late and it was hard to drag myself out of bed for early Mass today but I guess you could say I didn't want my fine day to end.
A list of yesterday's firsts and highlights:
*First time one of our meets has been delayed for cool temps in and out of the water (it was an off the charts gorgeous day--unheard of for May in steamy Texas.)
*Sophie's first no-lane-rope swim
*Sophie's first freestyle win
*Sophie's first back stroke win
*Grace's first time at a roller rink
*My first time doing the chicken dance on roller skates
*Madeleine's first day as a lifeguard (more on that later)
*Madeleine's first day at any "real" job
*Chris' first time in a long time making sangría--one of the keys to our happy marriage
I hope your days are fine and full of blue skies.
The photos: I apologize ahead of time for the glut of swimming pictures today and to come. I love taking them so you'll be seeing quite a few over the next six weeks.
Coach Keith encourages a cold and crying Sophie
And she's off
First to the wall in freestyle
Yay Sophie!
Proud Papa
Finishing with a smile
Wahoo sisters
Madeleine in the breaststroke
Great form
Here she goes again.
Keith gets her goggles just right.
Pep talk
Ready for backstroke
Well ahead of the competition
And another first place for Sophie
Too bad the meet was unofficial.
A great start for Grace
Post-meet nap. No idea how she sleeps in that U formation.
See you back here next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.