Friday, May 6, 2011

Jumping In

Sometimes, when the girls and I read a book or watch a movie, we talk about what it would be like to "jump in" and be a part of it all.  I've mentioned here before that one of the scenes I would most like to jump in to is the dog party on top of the tree in Go Dog Go.  I think I could be there for a whole week without running out of things to do.  
I recently discovered a charming book at the library* that also inspired thoughts of "jumping in".  It's called The Secret Keeper and its heroine is the keeper of the village secrets or, more aptly said, confessions.  People come to her, tell her things they don't want anyone else to know and leave, lighter in spirit.  For her, the secrets become too heavy but the story has a happy ending including this party with lots of food and dancing in a field.

 The secret keeper is the woman with the long dark hair dancing at the bottom right.  Wouldn't you like to be a part of that happy scene?
I have also been quite taken lately by the drawings the girls have brought home from their art class.  They exude happiness and innocence.  I think my recent favorite is Party Panda by Sophie.

 I'd love to shake hands with this guy.  Sophie tells me the red shapes to his right and left are "happy bunnies" but the one on the right looks suspiciously like the red ghost from Ms. Pac Man to me.

This is Mia's Happy Crab
I'm not a big fan of crabs because of their scary pinchers but I don't think I'd mind running into this one.

 Another one of Mia's.  The Blue Frog.  If you tell me you don't want to jump into this one, I won't believe you--or I'll have to assume you don't know how to swim.  Who wouldn't want to spend a day floating on a lily pond in a tranquil pond?  And if you get hungry, you can always munch the chocolate chip cookie floating at the top left (Mia tells me it's the back of a turtle but I like my interpretation better:)

We expect great things from this Doyle Dame as well.  Here she's painting a page full of blue.  Reminds me of that plane I mentioned in the last post.  Worth jumping into--and out of.

*I love going to the library because I never know what I'll find--particularly in the children's section.  Sometimes, it's pure gold in the form of a delightful book.  The Secret Keeper by Kate Coombs is worth checking out.  We also love The Hat That Wore Clara B by Melanie Turner- Denstaedt and a wonderful book called Chalk by Bill Thomson, a sort of wordless version of Harold and the Purple Crayon.  If you've discovered a favorite new kids' book, I'd love to hear about it.

Happy Fin de Semana everyone!


1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.