Pretty Pamina
In an effort to keep our out of town guests entertained and impressed with all that Houston has to offer, I checked the schedule for the Miller outdoor theatre and was very excited to discover that Houston's Opera To Go was performing The Magic Flute--or a modern adaptation of it. The girls were already familiar with the music because of a favorite CD we've listened to many times. We pulled it out again before making the trip downtown. I also printed out a thick booklet prepared by a professional opera company on The Magic Flute, Mozart and opera in general. So, we had an impromptu lesson on all of the above. It was homeschooling at its best. The girls were definitely prepared to see the show. They loved the fearsome dragon and asked questions later about how he had appeared on stage. Sophie ran over to meet her favorite character, Pamina, but told me that she doesn't want pink hair herself. I could have done without the final message--that the "Queen of the Byte" was oh so evil because she didn't recycle. Interesting. Other than that though, we loved the show. Amazing talent and as always, we had the theatre almost entirely to ourselves.
I loved this scene.
The warriors in training did The Warrior poses
Not as easy as it looks.
The dragon's not so scary after all
What fun. Wish we were there. Dad and I are trying to figure out how to entertain ourselves on our anniversary on Monday. It's supposed to be raining. :>(
ReplyDelete