One day this summer while we were back east and staying at the yellow house with the wide front porch, David and I got onto the topic of poetry. He told me that anyone can write a poem with just a little bit of effort. I looked at him skeptically. I mean, really, a Double E write a poem? No way. To prove his point, he showed up at Grace's birthday celebration with the following collaborative effort.
Ode to Grace
by Uncle Dave and Aunt Jes
with a little help from Rachel
Happy Birthday from the Kreitzers
To our niece and cousin Grace
She's quite a little dynamo
And here we'll make our case
This year our family missed
The traditional fourth of July race
But we heard about her spectacular run
Where she set a wicked pace
Leading all the other kids
on a merry chase
And earned herself a special trophy
For coming in first place
We enjoyed all her plays this summer
Especially at our place
Where her noises in "The Sleepover"
Showed she could replace
Wilbur or Petunia Pig (not that they need a replacement)
But just in case
If she played cards
She'd have quite a poker face
If she played World of Warcraft
She'd probably wield a mace
When she married Mr. Zack
We think she dressed in lace
If it were a real wedding
We would have given her a vase
Out at Grandma and Paka's pool
She's a backflipping ace
And in our beach kickball game
She played a mean second base
When it comes time to say goodbye
It's clear she needs her space
She always tries to get away
From Uncle Dave's embrace
Hopefully we'll see her soon
Christmas at worst case
We'll surely miss her sparkling presence
Happy Birthday Grace!!
Wow--I never knew there were so many words that rhymed with Grace. However, despite the laughs this effort gave us, I can't credit David with completely proving his point. First, he is pretty far above average so the fact that he was able to complete the task does not in any way prove that your "average Joe" could do it. Second, he enlisted the help of both Jes and his daughter Rachel who definitely has a bit of the poet in her. No wonder he got the job done.
In an honest aside though, I have to admit that I agree with David (still, being his big sis' it is my forever job to heckle him). I do believe that anyone can write a poem. Of course, the definition is so broad, you can write almost anything and call it a poem. The question is who can write good poetry. For that, I think there are the necessary ingredients of natural talent, discipline and of course, a poet's heart. Does David have what it takes? Only time will tell. I am waiting for his next work entitled, "Ode to Big Sisters".
And, speaking of big sisters--my "big sister" charm may have been the first one I chose for my charm bracelet. It is a role I love and have always taken seriously. I am fortunate to have the siblings I do. They are all great in their own way.
The page above with the photos of little David and Alice is from the book Jes made me for my fortieth. It went with a very cool video she and David put together.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.