Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Boring?

So, I am a big fan of poetry and try to incorporate it into a lot of what we do. The girls and I even used poetry in the science club I started a year or so ago. They learned poems about their topics that were not only cute but full of good information presented in a way they still remember.
When I hung our monster projects the other day, I did a search for monster poems and came up with this one. Just a reminder to any would-be monsters in the house that it's better to be a kid.

It's Boring Being a Monster

It's boring being a monster,
Chasing kids around,
Hiding underneath their beds,
Not making any sound.

It's boring waiting on the stairs,
Hoping they'll walk by,
Boring making little creaks,
Trying to make kids cry.

It takes so long to learn this trade,
To skulk and tap and moan,
It's boring waiting all the time,
In someone else's home.

I'd like to slide down bannisters,
And shriek and yell and scream,
Boogie to some disco songs,
Let off a little steam.

I'd like to run around the house,
Turn on all the lights,
Eat marshmallows, watch TV,
On dark and dismal nights.

I'd like to have a bath sometimes,
And clean my smelly hair,
Put some decent clothes on,
For someone who would care.

I'd like to sit down to a meal,
Smile and laugh and chat,
Have a coffee and ice cream,
Put on a little fat.

I dream of being normal,
Of having a little fun,
It's boring being a monster,
When all is said and done.

Richard MacWilliam

I'd say these monsters aren't very bored.

This one's busy practicing her scare tactics.

Coming up: Can an average Joe write a poem?

1 comment:

  1. You must be shivering with fright. Send the monsters to Virginia. Paka and I are fearless!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.