So, our time in Virginia was extra-long this summer for two reasons. First, with our house on the market, we wanted to be away as long as possible and second, we stayed around to help Jamie with Anya and rides to PT during the ten days that Mom and Dad were in Austin. Dave and Jes came out to stay during that time and we decided to have a bonfire while they were there.
Bonfires are fairly common at CK but Dad is normally chief fire builder. As he wasn't on hand, Chris took over the job. The kids gathered a huge mound of sticks and kindling and Chris went to work. You can see the results below. When I talked to Dad the next day, I gave him the bad news that a firecracker had shot from the huge fire to the screen porch which had burst into flames and fallen into the pool. He's smart enough to know not to believe me but nervously asked what really happened. The truth was that with all the wood on the fire, we probably could have kept the coals going for the whole weekend but, sometime after midnight, the guys doused it with water and we all went to bed.
Next up: Flashback to Flight
Hmmm....a little less lighter fluid maybe.....
two blondies
and more kissin' cousins
Bonfire activities included: fireworks, jokes and stories
(Rachel did a great retelling of Paka's "Viper" story)
sparklers
and a little Emo Phillips and guitar music by Dave
Fun, fun, fun. We can't wait to be there to enjoy bonfires in the fall.
Till next time, take good care.
I take exception to the tag about too much lighter fluid. The fire was designed with three layers: a base of light kindling/sticks, a secondary layer of heavier kindling, then a ring/third layer of starter logs. I had to start the bottom layer twice, but once it got going, it burned well up through the other two stages. Even a Texas AM grad would be proud of that inferno.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt was either the quip about the lighter fluid or one about Marine Man overkill. I was just happy that all the kids survived! Seriously though--thanks for an A+ fire. I can always count on you....
ReplyDelete