So, when I was a little girl (no comments please), whenever our family went on long car trips, I would ask my dad to tell the story of the day I was born. It wasn't a particularly fascinating story. It began with mom and dad going to hear live music the night of June 26th, 1970--they joked that it jolted me out of the womb because I was born at 3:23 the next afternoon while my dad was watching a baseball game and eating a cheeseburger (my poor mom). These days, the girls constantly ask me to tell them stories about my life. I wish I would have known about this mommy assignment when I was younger because surely, I would have kept better journals. I can usually summon something up from the cobwebs of my memory and they seem satisfied--so far.
Yesterday, we took a trip down memory lane--literally. We went on the tour of KU subtitled "Lovestory: the Chris and Alice Chronicles". We went to the sub shop we visited on our first date, ate on Campaneille Hill overlooking the football stadium (on our first date we looked out over the lake but now that Chris is secure in my affections, he feels free to unleash his inner sports fanatic). We walked the campus and saw the buildings where I taught my first Spanish class- in which he was my star student, visited Mass street and took lots of photos.
We've done this pilgrimage more than once and I love showing our girls where our family began. I have this possibly naive but romantic hope that they will see in us something that they want for themselves. One thing is for sure--if they do what a lot of girls do and marry someone like their daddy, they will be very happy women.
1900 New Hampshire Street
Madeleine's first home
Second stop on our first date
First stop was Spanish Mass
At our rehearsal dinner, we named the tables after places we went and things we did on our first date. Since it was like one of those all-day movie dates we had plenty of material.
A moment of silence por favor
KU--sort of
Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!
Teddy Roosevelt named the Rock Chalk chant the best college chant in the nation.
Guess who.
More to come. We will be visiting KU again tomorrow for family photos. It is supposed to be cloudy and rainy but nothing less than a tornado will stop the familia Doyle!
Lawrence's Aunt Sue is here visiting and we watched the anniversary video. I miss you guys!!! Have fun in Kansas and Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeletenice pics!
ReplyDelete