
Cover art for their new album by Dave Matthews
The Groogrux King is a reference to sax player Leroi Moore who died last August
Stefan Lessard was as much fun to watch as always. He showed up in nerdy attire with a plaid shirt, severe, black glasses and a very, very white baseball cap. There's nothing nerdy about the way he plays though. Whenever we see a new band, I always watch the bass player. I haven't seen one I like as much as Stefan Lessard. Last night, I commented to Chris that he doesn't look so much like the baby of the band anymore.
Then there's Carter with his perpetual smile. He must have thrown thirty drum sticks to the crowd at the end of the show. Of all of the DMB, he always looks like he's having the most fun.
On the way to the show, Chris and I did our yearly "pick the songs" challenge. We each picked four songs we hoped or thought they might play. We both picked "Funny How It Is" which they played third--that may have been my favorite song of the night. Chris was up 2-1 going into the last song of the set. Just before it, Dave did a lot of conferring with Stefan and Carter and we were wondering what was up. When they finally started playing, Chris said, "it's Anyone Seen the Bridge into Too Much", a combo we've heard before, and that's how it started but about ten seconds into Too Much, they did a quick transition into Grey Street which was amazing and, coincidentally, tied us at 2-2. With Rapunzel as the second encore song (I chose it for Madeleine), I pulled ahead and won our contest for the second year in a row. Very fun.
So I've been thinking-when I was little, I used to ask my mom about heaven, questions like, "will our dog Fancy be there?" She would always tell me, "If you need Fancy there to be happy, she'll be there. You'll be completely happy in heaven." I guess that means the Dave Matthews Band will be playing in heaven. Just in case though, I think I'll put them on the Doyle family prayer list. Because really-what would heaven be without the DMB?
Tickets scored by KD through his Warehouse membership
¡muchas gracias!
My new concert T. I definitely didn't need it but it's a yearly ritual.
I chose the owls to go with my small owl collection--a tribute to my grandma who had a huge one. I don't know why I like them so much. They just make me feel so...wise.
Abs and I have tickets to see DMB in KC in September. Willie Nelson as the opener. The gig is at the new Sprint Center in down town KC, which we have not been to yet. Lots to look forward to!
ReplyDelete