Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 2 in San Antonio

I really like this picture
Ella and Barbara have a very special bond

As I mentioned in my last post, Day 2 of the Doyle Adventures started out slowly.  Mid-morning, we arrived at the Alamo.  We happened into a telling of its story and the Texas history around the battle.  We all learned a few things.  After that, we wandered around and enjoyed the beauty of the grounds and the amazing weather.  
Our next stop was the River Walk where we took a boat tour and ate lunch.  Chris and I have been to San Antonio and the River Walk three or four times but we've never taken a tour.  We highly recommend it.  Kevin scoped out a restaurant he wanted to try for lunch.  I think it was called Casa Río and is one of the oldest if not the oldest restaurant on the River Walk.  Amazingly, after we told the hostess we had twelve people including two high chairs, she walked us right to a table.  The margaritas were great, the food delicious and the company, the best.  It was a fun lunch.
After the meal, Jack, Barbara, Kevin, Abby and Ceci headed back to Houston and we walked around a little more and checked out a shop Madeleine had seen from the boat tour.  It was called Life is Good--a brand I've seen before in outdoor clothing stores like REI.  You might recognize their cute cartoon guy "Jake"--named for the Jacobs brothers who started the company.  Their motto is Optimism and all of their products feature positive messages.  We picked out a few things in the store and when we got home, I checked them out online and bought a few gifts including one for Chris that he has already guessed.  Oh well- it's a Homer gift anyway.  Click here to check out Jake and Life is Good for yourself.

Learning about Texas--Uncle Kevin has room for two 

Grandma's girls

Doyle--Doyle--Doyle

An illegal picture inside the Alamo--oops

My Mad-dog in front of Mad-dogs

We saw a lot of Mama ducks with their babies

Mia--waiting for the boat ride

Me and my Sophie riding the boat
(Note Madeleine and Uncle K in the background)

A picture of Club Doyle eating on the River Walk
But wait--where's Ceci?

Oh--there she is!

The gang's all here in this one

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, Casa Rio is so good! My husband and I would eat there many times on Sundays, after we would attend Mass at St. Mary's downtown. His grandparent's even rented one of the barges for their 50th Anniversary celebration. What fun! We even ate at Mad Dog's once. Great Fish 'n Chips!

    I'm glad ya'll are having such a good time in San Antonio. I was born and raised there, and I still have all my family there. It's a great city!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.