Friday, May 22, 2009

Heroes of the Day

You are a light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden....let your light shine before men so that they may see your good works and glorify your father in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16

Monday morning was slow and lazy.  We were all tired after our big day at Sea World and the kids slept late.  Chris read the entire paper (or the entire Sports section with a good skimming of the rest) and brought an article up to show me after breakfast.  It was about President Obama's commencement speech at Notre Dame complete with the picture of him being draped for his honorary degree.  It reminded me of the day in May 1996 when I walked up Campaneille Hill at KU and received my Master's degree in Spanish Literature.  That degree was the result of years of blood, sweat and tears.  In fact, after an incredibly challenging first year, I sat down with my advisor and told him of my plans to quit the program.  Thankfully, I changed my mind and persevered.  The day I wore my cap, gown and stoll, I also wore the smile of someone who had earned them.  
What exactly did Obama do to earn an honorary law degree from Notre Dame?  I know that it is customary to award honorary doctorates to accomplished individuals but Obama's accomplishments were won for his work in opposition to Catholic doctrine and principles.  What was Notre Dame doing draping him in their colors and inviting him to give the last word to their graduates?  It was disgraceful.
As with all bad situations though, God brings good.  On Sunday, light did shine from South Bend, Indiana.  It didn't come from the president or the pomp and circumstance surrounding his appearance but from the many pro-lifers standing up in witness to the lives of our unborn brothers and sisters.  Among them was Norma McCorvey, the original Roe in Roe v. Wade who was arrested along with several others.  The graduates who gave up their right to be at their own commencement were also heroes of the day.  
I'm sure there are many people who wonder why it matters.  Why all the fuss?  What's the big deal?  Well, we know how God feels about the unborn.  Before I formed you in the womb I knew you.  Before you were born, I set you apart for my holy purpose.  Jeremiah 1:5  Those babies have every bit as much of a right to live as anyone reading this, the president of Notre Dame or President Obama.  Our right to life does not stem from whether our parents wanted us or could afford us.  It stems from God, our father and creator.  There is a holocaust going on in every city in the US and the victims are the babies--who are blessings from God as well as our future.  Notre Dame is a Catholic University and should be standing up for them, not standing to welcome pro-choice Obama into the room.  That is the big deal.


The graduates who didn't stand for Obama--Heroes of the Day
Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.  Daniel 12:3

More heroes

Please continue to pray for good leaders for Notre Dame

2 comments:

  1. Was just catching up on the last few entries. Loved them all, esp. the send-off to flat Alex and the doughnuts. Hey Jack, can I come next time we're in TX? I like old fashioned sour cream.

    I sent Mary Ann Fay the picture from Hope's show a few weeks ago. She loved it!

    A correction on your Notre Dame entry (love the photo of the expectant mom!). Notre Dame is not a Jesuit university. The priests there are the Holy Cross order. If you read my entry about the alternate commencement where Fr. Miscamble spoke, there's a link to his full talk which gave some of ND's history.

    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Changes made! My favorite story on your blog about Notre Dame was the one about the Torreses.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.