Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Go Fly a Kite

Sophie shows off her masterpiece
To make your own Sled kite, go to www.kitesonaroll.com/sledkites

Today, my pupils and I took our new Sled kites for a trial run.  We made them at our monthly craft day in April but this was our first attempt at flight.  We had a slight breeze and the kites got an occasional lift but mostly they were like lead zeppelins, dragging along in the dirt behind the girls.  Grace was the most persistent.  She ran in circles over and over, determined to get her kite airborne.  We may try again on a windier day but in the end, I think we'll conclude that poster board was a poor choice for the bodies even though it was fun to decorate.  I've put together a unit study to do with the girls on the geography, history and science of kites which we'll complete before we visit Kitty Hawk and the Wright Brothers' Memorial in July.  The plan is to learn about all of the uses of kites including the people like Ben Franklin and Alexander Graham Bell who used them for scientific experiments.  I plan to make more kites, experimenting with designs and materials.  The Sled kite, for example, would probably fly better if we made it from a plastic shopping bag (not nearly as pretty as the ones we have now though!)  We may finish our study with a trip to Kitty Hawk Kites, a specialty store in Nags Head, NC that sells all kinds of fun kites for the amateur as well as the more experienced kite aficionado.  
Who knew there was so much to know and love about kiting?

Mia's one, half-hearted attempt.

Mia did a great job decorating her kite.  
As you may imagine, her message made my heart happy.
(It says "I love Jesus")

Girl kiting

If I just run a little faster....

Or lift the string a little higher....

It's flying...sort of

Grace decorated her kite with a "4" and "Ella"

My friend Kim and her boys were at the park with us
Here, Evan has better luck with our diamond kite--incredibly,
the girls chose Spidey over Elmo and Barbie at the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.