Wednesday, April 6, 2011

More on Blindness

In thinking about my post on John's gospel about the blind man, it occurred to me that I have always heard it explained as a story about going from blindness to sight and darkness to light.  In my opinion though, it is just as importantly an example of Jesus acting as the Good Shepherd.  In most of the stories about Jesus' miracles of healing, the afflicted person or his friend, family member or boss seeks Jesus out.  In the case of the blind man, Jesus sought him out not once but twice--the first time to cure his physical blindness and the second to offer spiritual healing.  Who was this man?  We don't even know his name and yet the God of the universe took the time to seek him out and bring him home.  I don't know about you but that truly amazes me.  To quote the psalmist, "What is man that Thou art mindful of him?"  (Psalm 8:4)  Or, to paraphrase--who am I that God is mindful of me?

Henri Nouwen writes about God's initiative in dealing with us in his book The Return of the Prodigal Son.  He says:

In all three parables which Jesus tells in response to the question of why He eats with sinners, he puts the emphasis on God's initiative.  God is the shepherd who goes looking for His lost sheep.  God is the woman who lights a lamp, sweeps out the house, and searches everywhere until she has found it.  God is the father who watches and waits for His children, runs out to meet them, embraces them, begs and urges them to come home.  It might sound strange but God wants to find me as much as, if not more than, I want to find God.

I find it very easy to believe in this portrayal of God when it comes to others.  I have always found it very easy to identify likable and admirable traits in almost everyone I meet.  So I can see why God would make the effort with them.  It's a bit different when it comes to myself.  When I am feeling worn out and even lost, I find it difficult to believe in a God who comes in search of me.  I am much more inclined to make a list of ten things I must do to get back to the basics and reconnect with God.  The problem with that is, when I'm tired, I want to stay where I am.  I can identify with little Sophie who still tells us repeatedly on long walks, "I want you to carry me".  In fact, often, I could easily say that to God--I want you to carry me.  Please.  

Imagine it--a piggyback ride on the shoulders of God.  What incredible joy.  And that is the kind of God we serve.

Speaking of joy.  A few moments that made me smile today.  

 This was part of some game she was playing with Mia.

 I reminded her that this is not allowed (after taking the picture).

 Waiting to be rescued?

 Her assignment here was to vacuum her bedroom.
I suppose you could say she found a way to make the task more interesting.
(She did eventually vacuum it!)

And my favorite photo of the day.
Taken at Grandpa Doyle's birthday dinner.

Hasta maƱana queridos amigos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.