Thursday, December 3, 2009

Semester's End

So before I talk turkey, I thought I'd tell you about my last class of the semester.  This fall, I taught a beginning conversation class.  It met one day a week and I had more students than I've ever had in a class at Lone Star College.  Tonight, I gave them a final review and then we all headed to a Mexican restaurant for a last hurrah before the final exam.  
There were fifteen of us counting the two significant others who showed up and all of us spoke mostly Spanish--even the waiter who, ironically, was a gringo.
I had a wonderful time.  I love my job and can honestly say that I would pay the college to let me do it (though I doubt Chris would go for that).  My students are different ages, from different places and from all walks of life but when we get together to learn Spanish, we are all a part of a supportive community, cheering each other on to succeed.  I hope that when they remember our class, they think of me as a teacher who not only knew how to teach but knew and cared about them as people.  Because I do.  Whether they know it or not, they give me as much as I give them.  
I am blessed to have the opportunity to continue with this particular group next semester.  So tonight was not goodbye but "hasta enero" when we will continue our adventures together.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you will be posting photos again although I really enjoy your commentary. This post was lovely and made me wish I could be in Texas and signed up for your class.

    I probably wouldn't do very well because my memory is not what it used to be, but I have a feeling it would be a lot of fun. And, hey, I could audit so I wouldn't have to worry about grades.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.