Thursday, July 29, 2010

Applesauce

Anya and Gracie

For several days now, Grace has been asking to make applesauce from the apples in Grandma and Paka's little orchard. I'm not sure where she got the idea but she's been very intent on the process. For awhile, she insisted that she was going to mash the apples without cooking them. When faced with the practical reality of that task, she let Paka boil them. I wish I'd taken a picture of the apple picker. I'm sure my mother-in-law, queen of gadgets, would buy one if she saw it. It was very handy. We ate the "fruit" of their labor at dinner tonight. The applesauce was delicious and the little harvesters and cooks were quite proud of themselves!

1 comment:

  1. The "apple picker" was actually a tree pruner - just doing double duty! We still have a bag of apples that is supposed to become an apple pie, but Paka and I haven't roused the energy yet to peel and core all those teeny apples. Maybe we should make heavenly apple butter instead. All that takes is washing the apples, throwing them all in the kettle with sugar and spice, and cooking the hell out of them. Then mashing them through a sieve (the narrow gate). Maybe we'll have some in the fridge for you when you get back from the beach.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.