I have to start this post by saying that I am proud to be married to a vet. Truth be told, I doubt Chris and I would have dated if he hadn't been a military guy. I noticed his uniform first. White--he was in the Navy back then. It reminded me of my grandfather and evoked a lot of patriotic feelings that ran into other feelings of the girl loves boy variety and, well, you know the rest of the story. Personally, I think I would have made a kick-butt Marine myself though I'm sure I would have figured out a million and one ways to make the Corps run more efficiently, gotten into lots of trouble and talked everyone to death. So, I'll settle for being married to one and raising his (almost) perfect children.
Chris celebrated Veteran's Day 2011 by accompanying me to Houston's annual Nutcracker Market, perhaps my favorite Texas tradition. Held at Reliant Stadium, the market runs for four consecutive days and offers everything you need--and most certainly don't--to have a Merry Christmas. I love it. It is completely excessive and the thought "spoiled Americans" pops into my mind a hundred times while I'm there (I blame my mom :) but there are unique gifts to be found and beautiful sights to see. Poor Chris, he was one of about five guys there today. Every time he had to use "the head", he went on a forced march in search of a mens' room that had not been converted to a ladies'. Tough gig. That and carrying the bag. And navigation. It is truly overwhelming. We were on a mission though. We had a list and as the afternoon wore on, we checked off one thing after another. A win-win for us both and lots of fun as well. I am so thankful to have a husband that would brave this scene with me. Thank you, you big stud (you all know the next line right?)
So I can't show you pictures of what we bought lest you unwrap it soon but here are a couple of things I left behind with a bit of regret:
I wanted that jacket for Ella. So cute and the hood was pointed--$55
Five owls for five girls--but $75? We passed.
I liked the snow man sporting the boa. A good idea to be sure.
This gives you an idea of what a stall at the market looks like. Always on the lookout for gifts, I don't tend to buy decorations but they are definitely beautiful.
At a gift wrap stall. So many ribbon choices. Overwhelming for sure but also economical and fun.
Favorite pic of the day
His presence here is "Under Wraps" Shhhh...
And finally, a booth to steer clear of. Why come to the Nutcracker Market, pay to get in and shop at Macy's? There are a few of these that we pass on by.
Adios,
Alice
Wow! Wish I could have been there. Looks like fun just to window shop!
ReplyDelete