I don't remember if I mentioned yesterday that photography may not have been the hobby for me.
Things I love about photography:
*Freezing a moment in time. What power time has in our lives and yet, with the click of a button, I can capture something to treasure forever. What are photo albums if not beautiful time capsules?
*Learning to "see". Looking at a scene as a photographer is very different from glancing at it on the way to something else. I get so much more joy out of vacations and even everyday life because I am watching for--and even creating--photographable moments.
*It is subjective. In the couple of workshops I have been to, I have not always liked the preferred version of a photo presented by the instructor. Sometimes I like a different angle or less light or color where they prefer more etc. This tells me that, regardless of the rather complicated equipment, photography remains both subjective and personal.
*It can be a lifelong hobby. So much to learn, so many areas on which to focus, so many places to photograph (so many toys to buy).
Problem--the s and t words--photography involves science and technology. Lots of new and strange vocabulary, numbers, understanding of cause and effect--"if I change this, then this". A definite workout for my brain. Which is why, after about twenty years of taking tons of photos, I only started using manual settings a year ago. I am committed to learning the ins and outs of this but am only beginning to appreciate how long that process will take.
In the end, the $288 we spent on my tuition this weekend was a bargain (my list of info highlights is still to come). I love classroom learning because it is an opportunity for face time with the experts. Reading books and manuals is great but hearing from someone about what really works and what I should focus on saves me time. I was able to ask three or four questions during the question and answer time and on breaks and I learned from other students. I learned about Nikon View NX2 and Nikon Capture NX2, Nikon's organizing and editing software. Nikon Capture NX2 (for editing) has a 60 free trial period--just in time for Christmas photos!
More to come on photography. In the meantime, a few photos from the last week:
The Problem with Target
I try not to shop at Target because I always come home with something that was not on my list.
For example, a pint-sized ice cream outfit seriously marked down. I couldn't resist.
If you build it, they will come
Our back yard is now the neighborhood hang out. I love it and hate it. Mostly love it.
Photos taken post-Nikon School:
She was coached
I told Ella what to do for this photo. I love candle photos and was playing with my 50mm lens and changing the white balance. Much to learn but I like this one.
Pants by Mia
Mia made her pj pants in her sewing class. One of our big goals in parenting is to teach our kids to be producers as well as consumers. This is a good first step. She is proud of herself and has something warm and cute to wear.
Droid, iPhone, Zucchini phone
I took this photo with my phone and, much as I love high quality pics, there are some in which all that matters is the subject.
That's it for now. Happy Monday y'all!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.