The story of Thanksgiving 2011 begins with this sweater. I bought it once upon a time at a boutique where I'm sure I thought it would be "so cute" to wear for Halloween or Thanksgiving. It was pricey. As it turns out, orange is not exactly my color and more than one Halloween and Thanksgiving passed me by while the sweater hung patiently in my closet waiting to be worn in all its glory. Normally, in a case like this, I would have piled the sweater in a bag of Good Will items and wished it well on its way to a new owner. I am in fact an expert at giving things away because of a principle I learned and internalized from my Econ 101 class. It's called "sunk cost" or--your money's gone whether you keep the thing or donate it. I found myself going soft with this sweater though, rescuing it time and again. And I finally know why--it was destined from the beginning of its existence to be.....our Thanksgiving sweater. Each year, someone will wear it to eat at our table. Last year, it was me, sweating and smiling. This year, Abby volunteered to do the honors and, I must say, completely rocked it. If the tradition weren't so young, I might consider retiring it after her performance. So the question is--who will wear it next year? We are taking applications now. Just sign your name and give us the one reason why you and only you should wear the sweater next year.
Kids with Kid at Heart
more pre-feast hangout
cooking together--Maggie's "best part"
double fisted with sweet potato casserole
YUM!
Not quite the whole gang but you get the idea
Dad and Dame
Better
Carving
My plate
We just realized we completely forgot the cranberries. So sorry Henkels!
Toasts
This was so fun. We all put our names in and did a toast for someone at the table. As it turned out, most of the Henkels got each other as did the Doyles. Stephen started us off and we all had wet eyes after he toasted his dear dad. Family rocks and these kids know it.
lonely table post-feast
Abby continued to rock the sweater on a walk around the neighborhood.
Seriously--can you imagine a better combo than those purple shorts?
Madeleine's kind of artwork
Fun with light sabers
We made a fire in our chiminea
Mia ate more than her weight in dessert
On a side note, we think Sophie may be confused about the story of the first Thanksgiving
Ella waits for charades to begin
Is it a song? a movie?
Chaucer--ever with Mia
Taylor Swift?
Definitely all heart.
Believe it or not, there's still more. See you back here soon!





I don't think Sophie's confused about the first Thanksgiving. Don't you think the Indians would have liked a ride on the Mayflower? What a nice way to say thanks -- a yachting party in the bay.
ReplyDeleteBTW - I'd apply for the sweater if it would fit me. I look good in orange. (Well, as good as an old lady can look in anything. LOL!)
ReplyDelete