Monday, February 7, 2011

My Opinion


So today, along with the great football, a lot of people are talking about Christina Aguilera's flubbing of the National Anthem.  I heard one commentator opine that the thing that redeemed her after she forgot some of the words (ouch) was the tear in the eye of the Pittsburgh player that the camera happened to catch.  While that was touching, I still think her focus on how she sang over what she was saying detracted from the moment.  And on the one hand, who can blame her.  She had the spotlight at a very big gig.  Of course, The Star Spangled Banner is already one of the most difficult songs to sing so straightforward execution is an accomplishment all in itself.  No need for a lot of innovation.
If I were in charge of these things, I would take the pressure off the moment and bypass celebrity singers.  Instead, I would hold an annual contest and select the child singer who sings with the most beauty, purity and emotion.  A tribute to our past by a representative of our future--what could be better?  My opinion (I have a lot of them :)

In other news, I am blogging today from sunny Virginia where the temperature--incredibly--has been higher than it is back in Texas.  I'm here to "pick up" Madeleine but took the opportunity to stay a few days, visit family and do some research on our move.  More on all of that later but here are a few pictures to get started.

 On Saturday, Jes, Alex and I drove to meet mom, dad and Madeleine at a place called The Apple House.  This is a photo of Madeleine and Alex inside a huge Santa hat we found in their gift shop.
Not sure what else it would be useful for.  Maybe an extra large stocking?

 Hat Head


 My goddaughter Rachel wears a higher number in footwear than I do.  The shoes with the pink and orange laces are her basketball shoes.

 Here she is with good buddy Lauren


 Happy spectators

 And the best team won.  Ironically, they were playing the team from St. Louis, our old elementary school.  We saw some people we knew from there as well.  Small world.

We went to Friendly's to celebrate.
It hasn't changed a bit.

 David's holding his breath because Tara and family have been sick with the flu.  These two are running a marathon together next month.


 Me and my buddy Alex who is just like his dad

Five scoops of ice cream--can she do it?

Yes she can!

 Pure delight

 Grace's triplets Ryan and Zack

 Sean, ready for bed

Madeleine with Sophie's best bud Lauren

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.