My quick trip to Virginia was surprising, fun and a needed shot in the arm. Because we had spent both major holidays in Texas in 2010, I was missing my extended family with a vengeance. There's no one like them. In the few days I was there, there were video games with my nephews (who are pretty appalled at how bad I am), a shopping outing with my goddaughter Rachel who is, at ten, a fashion genius. There was Mass at Holy Trinity celebrated by Father Peffley who hugged me and asked again when we would be back for good and there was one long walk with Jes, my forever pal. Dave, Jes and I saw The King's Speech, a second time for me--and much better as our seats were comfortably in the middle instead of two rows from the screen. And of course, there was the Super Bowl party featuring David's famous wings. A lot to squeeze into a few days, but we managed.
Madeleine and I flew home Tuesday evening and, for the first time, I went through the whole pat down routine at the airport. It was actually an accident. At Dulles, unlike the three other airports I've been in recently, the super duper (potentially dangerous and definitely revealing) xray machine was right next to the normal one. I was paying attention to putting all of the required items into the bins and didn't notice that they were directing people one way or the other to the machines. The new machine takes longer so most people go through the normal one and I probably would have been directed there except that the woman in front of me was pointed toward the new one. I followed her, realized what I was about to walk through and immediately backed away. I am not about to walk through one of those for two reasons. Number one, there has been little research done on the long term effects of that kind of intense exposure. Chances are, in ten years, they'll determine that they cause all kinds of cancers and as I already have a couple of kinds coming at me from both sides of the family, I am not going to take any chances. Second, I don't believe the TSA should have the right to randomly screen people and subject them to either exposure to dangerous x-rays or invasive pat downs. At least with the pat downs, the effects are immediate and not long term. Still, it was every bit as humiliating and invasive as you may have heard. At least it was done by a woman and I am very grateful it was me and not Madeleine. She saw the whole thing though and was very quiet afterward. I am grateful we did not opt to have her fly back alone. But isn't that a tragedy? The whole thing. For me, the question is--as Americans what is a greater threat to our safety? A repeat of 9-11 or our government reaching farther and farther into our personal space and business? Really. Are we safer because TSA agents are patting down random law abiding citizens including grandmas and Alices? I would have to say ummmm.....no.
OK--enough of that. Back in Texas, the weather was colder than in VA. The difference is that here, I expect mild weather this time of year as a reward for having to put up with the inferno that we call summer. So, I was grumpy. But a few days later, the sun is out, the sky is blue and life is good. And Valentine's Day is on Monday. I have a surprise in the works for my main squeeze. Here's to you and your love--wishing you a romantic and maybe even surprising Valentine's Day!
My little bro is a master wing-maker
Here he's doing some prep work
The wings are ready to go in the deep fryer (a new addition to the process since the last time I was treated to wings)
Serious business
And--a few hours later when the fun is done.
For Brendan and Sean, B's new ipod Touch is much more interesting than the game.
Anya Baby
Jamie and Jonathan are newly expecting Baby Fuller #2 and Jamie is feeling pretty lousy
so mom and dad brought Anya to the SB party to see us.
She's our youngest godchild and is Ella's very best bud.
One of the big perks of visiting last weekend was that it was Jes' birthday. Seeing her on her day is a rare treat. I had already mailed her gift but I brought the birthday hat
to make the celebration extra authentic.
David bought her cake at Coldstone and it was the best bday cake I've had in a long time.
About to wish...
A painting Alex did that was hanging in his room. I thought it was a cool idea for a work of art on canvas. I may do the same thing for Sophie and Ella but stencil fairies and girly things.
Matthew, king of the silly bands
random photo of a fabulous chopped salad
David can't believe I don't like olives. Here he was trying to tempt me.
It didn't work.
The next photos were taken Tuesday afternoon at the kids' school. Madeleine and I brought them all lunch from Chik Fil A again. Matthew is in preK and gets out early in the day so Madeleine and I picked him up, went to buy the food and then came back for two lunch periods. It was a highlight of the trip for me.
Silly boy
Girls and their tools
I wish I hadn't messed up this photo but I loved this whole moment enough to include it anyway. Jes and Madeleine were doing the James Bond pose with drills. The back story is that UPS had just delivered a pet door that Jes was installing. She was following a tutorial on YouTube. Madeleine assisted a bit and was totally impressed. Which means--I need to get a little more handy lest my girls think I am a weakling :)
And....back at Casa Doyle with my sweet babes
Really wish that picture had turned out. It's very cute, and I don't really have any pictures with Madeleine since I try to avoid being on that side of the camera. But, I'm glad you posted it anyway.
ReplyDelete