Warning: preachy post
Our local Christian radio station KSBJ has a "post-it note" campaign going. The idea is that listeners use sticky notes to leave positive messages for friends, family, co-workers and anyone they know. The station has been promoting it for awhile but tomorrow is the big day when they want to cover the city of Houston with notes reminding people that God loves them. Their slogan--"God's love sticks".
On a related note, I saw a very positive commercial recently (no--it wasn't the one with the boy dressed as Darth Vader that aired during the Super Bowl though I gave that one a huge thumbs up for cleverness). This one started with parents sitting in a theatre wondering where their small son had gone. A few moments pass and the curtain rises on the stage. There is their son, seated at the grand piano. He starts to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". The parents slump in their seats with embarrassment when suddenly, the maestro walks out on the stage. He comes up behind the little boy and whispers, "keep playing" while he commences to play on either side of him. Together they perform a masterpiece, completely delighting the audience. Words appear on screen "Encouragement--do it" or, something like that.
So, to put the two things together--the post-it note project and the commercial, I challenge you to encourage someone tomorrow on Valentine's Day. For me, Valentine's Day is not about gifts or flowers or candy (though Chris, if you're reading this, you know I like all of those--I'm an all-of-the-above kind of girl :) But when you get right down to it, Valentine's Day is about words. Words of love, thanks, encouragement, admiration and praise. Everyone needs to hear or read that they are loved and appreciated and the more generous we are with our admiration, praise and gratitude, the more we resemble our heavenly Father.
So, I don't know if I will use post-it notes but I will put pen to paper tomorrow and write to the residents of Casa Doyle. If you would like to write but don't consider yourself much of a writer, try starting with a list. It could go straight down the page or shoot out from the center like sunbeams. Or use a post-it note. They're small. The important thing is to share what's in your heart.
Words are so important. They can build up where the world has torn down. And your words are uniquely yours. I encourage you to share them on V Day and every day.
Ciao for now.

What a great suggestion! Thanks!
ReplyDelete