Monday, October 4, 2010

Sweet Tones

So, I have to admit--my favorite thing about my cell phone is the ring tones. I think it's so cool that I can pick an appropriate song for each person in my phone book and recognize the ring when they call. I've cracked myself up with some of my song choices like "Maneater" for my sister Tara--funny because she is so obviously not. OK--funny only to me. It's the little things though.
I always put the most thought into the ring tones I assign Chris. He's had cheesy songs and fun ones and once, when I was mad at him, I assigned him "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" by John Mayer. I happen to really like that one so I didn't change it back right away and every time Chris heard it, he would say, "hey--will you change that already".
When I switched phones to one of Verizon's new fandangled smart machines, I lost track of exactly how to purchase and change ring tones. So, Madeleine has taken over for me. Now, when my father-in-law calls, I hear "Thriller"--usually on volume ten when I'm in a quiet place. She chose "Smile" by Uncle Kracker for Chris, a song I thought was nothing special when I first heard it but now I love it. It's perfect. Here, a sample of some of the words:

You make me dance like a fool
forget how to breathe
Shine like gold
Buzz like a bee
Just the thought of you can drive me wild
oh you make me smile.

and my favorite lines:

Don't know how I lived without you
Cuz every time I get around you
I see the best of me
inside your eyes.

So now, when I think of what I can do to be a good wife to Chris, I think about this song and hope that he could honestly sing it to me. I hope he's the very best version of himself because he married me. I hope I make him smile.
Thank you Madeleine for a good pick. Now, would you please make a different choice for Grandpa...

And speaking of smiling, this picture makes me smile.
Do you remember how good the hot cement feels when you're soaking wet?

2 comments:

  1. If I had a musical ring tone for you, not saying I do, not saying I don't, but if I did, it would be the fourth track from John Mayer's record Room For Squares.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.