So, Chris comes home tomorrow--yay!--and in case I've made it seem like things have been super-easy without him, I thought I should tell the rest of the story. I should start by mentioning that in the time we've known each other, we have endured long distances and two six month deployments, both of which put relatively short business trips like this one in perspective. Chris' absence has definitely reminded me of all he does on a regular basis to make my life easier and to support me in everything I do. It also made me exercise my "independent woman" muscles. A good thing. Of course, I have had a lot of help from my right-hand girl Madeleine. The best thing she did by far was to start reading two chapters nightly of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. She knows bedtime is challenging when Chris is gone so she picked up the book one night and now, her sisters look forward to bed time, stay in bed and fall asleep before she stops reading. Magic? Madeleine. Thank you!
As for the not-so-great stuff over the two weeks...our most definitely two-year-old Ella colored the rug with a Sharpie, painted the refrigerator and cabinets with nail polish and dumped the entire contents of my purse at least three times (fortunately, I don't keep much in there). Not to be outdone, Grace poked Sophie in the ear with a pencil, tormented people while they were doing their schoolwork by making loud, annoying noises and cut her hair--again. She told me she got the idea from The Parent Trap. On top of all of that, I've had the usual bickering that drives me the most crazy. What I haven't had much of is quiet or time alone. As I told an employee at Barnes and Noble the day the girls were all calling "Mommy" at once, vying to get my attention, it may be time to change my name. Not for too long though. Because I love my loud and crazy, wonderful life. I really do. And I can't wait for Chris to jump back in with me.
Now for some photos of the happenings at Casa Doyle over the last two weeks:
Fun with Bendaroos
I found a box of these on clearance at the grocery store. Talk about a great buy.
I brought them out one afternoon and the girls spent a happy two hours creating all sorts of things. The best part was being joined by our neighbor friends who left later with creatures of their own.
Watch out--scary shark!
The best of the bunch.
I like how Ella is proudly holding up her cup.
Ice cream guaranteed to produce peaceful feelings.
Along with her tremendous ice cream sunday, Mia has been hard at work on domino mazes. The one above took awhile because the book was a precarious surface and either Mia or one of her sisters kept knocking the whole thing over.
So, she took the whole production outside
Speaking of outside, we went on a bike ride one day to collect pine cones and things for fall arrangements and decorations. I rode home with these sticks hanging out of the back of the bike trailer. Madeleine says they look scary but I like them. The best part? They were free. I also have a very nice pine cone arrangement and we collected so many that we will be ready to make turkeys in a few weeks.
Here--a scene from a little play the girls are working on.
Any guesses as to the story?
Not mortally wounded.
My helper
Sophie has helped quite a bit with the cooking since Chris has been gone.
Here, we're making Rice Krispie Treats for our Pippi Longstocking tea party.
I used some pink marshmallows that Chris and I picked up at a latino market. They made the cookies look like they'd been dipped in pepto bismol. Pink Lady Sophie didn't mind a bit!
In position
So here's the background--we've slowly been reading our way through Pippi Longstocking, an old favorite of mine. A recent chapter had Pippi and her friends Tommy and Annika in a tree enjoying tea and cakes. I thought that sounded like fun. Up a tree is always good. The girls agreed so we decided to try it.
At Pippi's tea party, they threw the tea pot, cups and saucers to the ground and broke them all. Ours are plastic and they all survived.
Later in the day, when their friend Emily came home from school, the girls did a reprise of the tea party. They gathered their own food and drinks and Emily joined them up the tree. I have a feeling they will not soon forget the experience.
Next, Sophie wants to do a Mary Poppins style tea party. That might be a bit trickier.
See you next time!!
Great post! Every time I called home, I got a boost from the positive energy there. Thanks to all, especially mi esposa, for supporting me and stepping up. It's so good to be home...I don't even mind that someone crawled into our bed last night and wet it! On my side!
ReplyDelete