Thursday, December 1, 2011

Wrapping Up

So, when I was planning our visit with the Henkels, imagining what they might want to do or see in Houston, a trip to Galveston was high on the list of musts.  I penciled it in for Friday.  But this is what our Friday looked like:


So......Plan B.  The teenagers went off to see a movie and brave the Black Friday craziness and the rest of us--the kiddies and the fogies--were on our own for fun.  We ended up at East End Park and explored quite a bit more than I had seen on past visits.  It is beautiful.

A few photos:









"Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Tim was quite popular with Sophie while Jeffrey was not around

Love birds out of season

After our hike, we met up with the teens at Cha Chis, a mexican restaurant in Town Center, Kingwood.  It was a perfect evening for outdoor dining and we had an intimate last meal going over our highs of the visit.  I think we were all already feeling the pain of the next morning's goodbyes but we put on a collective brave face.

Toast with chips!

Across from the restaurant is a large grassy area and stage, perfect for fun.  The next couple of photos were taken at ISO 2500.  There was ZERO light.  I really like them and think they would make good covers for albums called Cousins Silly and Cousins Serious.


See no, Hear no, Speak no


Hear no, see no, speak no

Big flash used for this one

I love this one.  Sophie looks like a stuffed animal in Jenny's arms :)

So back to my question--is all the build up and visit business worth it when, at the end, you say goodbye and wonder when or if you'll do it again?  In my younger years, I would always have said a big "hell yeah!"  I can tell I'm getting older because I'm saying a much more timid "hell yeah!" these days.  And here's the thing--it turns out, I'm not a carpe diem kind of girl.  I'm more of a forever kind of girl.  In all of my relationships.  I think that may be a huge part of heaven for me--crossing that line where, from then on, it's all real--forever.  Amen.
I discovered a new song the other day.  I heard it at the end of a House episode.  It's called Waking Life and the refrain goes, "I'm not lost, just looking for footprints, I'm taking it one step at a time and you're still on my mind".   That's me.  Not lost, just looking for footsteps to follow......home.  Time to kick off my shoes and stay awhile with the people I love.

Thank you to Jen, Tim and gang for spending your holiday with us.  We know you have many options for holiday celebration and we are honored that you thought of us :)  And we love you.  All.  Sophie says, "especially Jeffrey".



PS  We all stuffed our thankfulness papers in this turkey.  I thought we should record a few for posterity...So here, direct quotes...


* for an almost-driving daughter and four others who are the best ever...
* I am thankful for ALL FOOD and for my family and for the awesome HENKELS
*  For Grace and Grace
*  I am thankful for the gift of every memory represented by a rock, a popsicle ornament, a construction paper flower and/ or picture magnet
*  I am thankful for money to go to school
*  for good music
*  I am thankful that I am wearing shorts in November
*  I am thankful for the beach
*  For a husband who never says never--you rock!
*  For my family
*  I am thankful for Mom and Dad.  Love, Grace
*  Bright blue skies, warm spring days
*  Yay for family!
*  For Sophie, Ella, Madeleine, Mom and Dad
*  For a special blonde god-daughter.  We love Maggie!
*  I am thankful for Sophie liking me the best
*  Sophie is thankful for....her family
*  For Abby, a chick who's on her way!
*  For our faith, mi esposa caliente, my wonderful daughters and of course, football
*  Ella says thank you!  For having a great Thanksgiving.
*  I'm thankful for my family and the Doyles
*  For my special cousin Jen who I love to hang out with and for her husband who is sort of nice too...
*  I am thankful for my family and friends
*  For fantasy football.  I love my QB.  Without it, my life would be a hollow shell.
*  I am thankful for the gift of time!
*  For Jeffrey and Stephen, two talented, good-looking boys who make me wish I had sons.
*  I am thankful for food.

So that's it.  Who won the thankfulness war?  Your table or ours?  I think ours.  Hands down ours.  

See you back here soon.

Pip's latest hiding spot
Sneaky little guy...







1 comment:

  1. It has been fun reliving the week in your posts...we miss you guys a bunch.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.