So far this year has been a really good one for home schooling. Our Wednesday and Friday activities have added both structure and an opportunity to get out of the house and see other people. I have dedicated two full days a week to being at home working on everything from school work to piano to chores. We spend the other three days on activities like art, choir and piano as well as participating in our home school schools. I think we have reached a happy level of business and I find myself very content with little need to tweak, a rare state indeed.
Today, things were already going smoothly. It was laundry day and I could tell I was going to be able to complete the entire task in a day, something from which I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure. Grace was working on math in the middle of everything. I had assigned her four pages of addition which is easy for her but one page asked her to identify whether the sum of each problem was even or odd. Having skipped ahead in the book, I had not explained that to her so I told her to complete the problems and after I checked them I would teach her about odd and even numbers. When I checked in with her, I saw that she had answered all of the questions and had correctly identified the even and odd numbers. At first I thought maybe Mia had helped her but no. So I asked how she had figured out which were which. She said, "When Catherine and I play with Littlest Pet Shops, if there are four, we each get two. That's even."
The interesting thing about that was that if I had "taught"her before she did the page, I would not have explained it that way at all. I still plan to get the number line out and teach her the rule but tonight, I am basking in the glow of a home school that works.
Hallelujah!
Well, isn't Grace a smarty-pants? : ) That's pretty good to figure it out and be willing to commit to it. I think that's so fitting for her personality - not afraid to just do it. Give her a big high-five from us here in VA.
ReplyDelete