Yes--absolutely. Because learning to swim is first and foremost about safety. There are so many situations in which we are around and in the water that basic skills are as essential as immunizations. One of the compelling arguments Sue makes for her method is that it has saved lives. At least two children she has taught rode motorized jeeps into backyard swimming pools and were found clinging to the side. Incredible really.
The main thing for me though is that I realized that it is much more compassionate to force kids to learn than to wait until they're "ready". With swimming, kids' fears grow right along with them so while it may take two or three days to help a two year old get comfortable in the water, the five or six year old may take a week or two. One of the children I taught this summer had a huge fear of getting water up her nose. I tried to help her over it because it was interfering with her safety in the water. Every time she took a breath, she had to hold her nose before putting her head in the water again. After two weeks, I was not successful in helping her break the habit.
While Beth and I were running the swim school, a mom brought her nine year old to me to teach. She was petrified of the water and was completely uncooperative. I tried to work with her but simply could not manage her size. Sue told me later that she had worked with older swimmers in the same way she did younger ones. Sue was stronger than me though and outweighed me as well. I simply couldn't manage the bigger non-swimmers.
As I said in yesterday's post, I have learned a lot through teaching swim lessons. I have learned how to push through fear and remain calm. To conquer fear, we generally have to do something which means it's not always compassionate to sit and hold someone's hands as they wring them.
I'm sure you've come across the question, "What would you do if you had no fear?" How many of us limit ourselves because we don't want the discomfort that comes from taking the plunge into the unknown? I am encouraged every time I see a little swimmer conquer her fears and grab a fistful of rings off the bottom or jump off the board for the first time. I am proud to be a part of that. So proud, that I willingly pry the next swimmer from mama's legs and go through the paces again. What better example can I set for my girls than to stand firm and cheerful in the face of fear?
A few more rules by Miss Sue:
*No goggles
*No floaties, life jackets or body suits in the pool
*If a child toddles near the edge of the pool, let her/him fall in to experience the consequences of toddling so close to the edge
The problem with goggles before kids are proficient swimmers is that they may not think they can swim without them. Floaties and body suits that float give a false sense of security and make it less likely that kids will want to learn to swim because of the increase in the level of difficulty. Parents of children using floaties etc. may have a false sense of security as well and not watch their children as closely as they should.
Today was the last of Anya and Ella's swim lessons. After writing yesterday's post, I decided I was being too soft with Ella and I insisted that she swim the width today. She swam it six times but still hasn't jumped in herself to do it. Anya made a huge transition to happy student today. I wasn't sure she was going to stop with at least feeble protests but she did. Today, the last day, she crossed over to the good side. She not only still likes her godmommy, she really likes to swim. Halleluah!
The graduates celebrate with a popsicle
Till next time!
I am so happy to get to read more about your swimming lesson tactics as I've heard bits and pieces here and there when we've visited you guys.
ReplyDeleteJoseph is nearly walking and I'm sure we'll have many days at my sister's pool between now and autumn when he'll have the opportunity to fall in:) When can we start teaching him???
We're enjoying time with J&B as of yesterday. Barbara attended our church's Bible school with me and Ceci yesterday and tonight is Jack's turn! Then there's a weekend of birthday fun up ahead:)
Feels silly to wish you a great time in Virginia...looks like you're already having one!
Love to all-Abby