Last week, I sped by another number on the highway of life. I am now forty plus one year old which I suppose makes me even more officially middle aged--quite a bit older than I feel.
I've always loved birthdays and I think I'm enjoying them even more as I get older. June 27th is my day every year to celebrate my life. Last year, Chris planned the day and I ended up jumping out of a plane. Truly unforgettable. This year, I gave him a pass on the planning but asked him to take the day off for family fun. I tossed around a lot of ideas before deciding on roller skating--a huge favorite of mine as a kid. After going with Grace once already this summer, I am hooked on it again. Chris didn't spend quite as much time gliding around rinks as I did so he had to find his skating legs but we all very much enjoyed the outing and our former non-skaters, Sophie and Ella--can now make it solo around the rink with no falls. You can check out the photos for the rest of the story of my big day and post-day celebrations.
I came across a quote recently in some old papers of mine. I found it some time in my college years and I think it's especially appropriate for a birthday:
There is no such thing as “standing still” in life. Either we are improving or degenerating, growing or stagnating, progressing or regressing. The way to come out on the positive side of this “either/or” proposition is to use well the gifts we have been given. The more we use our good talents, the more they grow. Thus, the more loving I am, the more loving I become; the more generous I am the more generous I become and so on with all the virtues.
So I suppose if every year on June 27th, I can say that I am one more year loving or generous or holy or wise, I have at least earned my cake and ice cream--not to mention all those candles!
 |
| My favorite photo of the day |
 |
I awoke to a prank played by birthday elves
and certainly felt young as I slid down the stairs under all the toilet paper |
 |
The elf's name was Madeleine
I was up until nearly midnight on the 26th. Who knows when Madeleine went to bed. |
 |
| Ella wore the tiniest skates I've ever seen |
 |
Madeleine and Mia entered speed skating contests
The white blur is Madeleine. She came in second of three. |
 |
| Big girl waiting for Mama to get her a drink |
 |
Taking a spin with big sis
Madeleine broke out the shirt she made for my 40th in honor of my day. |
 |
Me and my best guy
He dedicated a DMB song to me. Their selection was meager so it was an obscure one but it was very sweet. |
 |
Birthday brew
My very first sour apple martini |
 |
| I don't remember how this started but they all showed their love |
 |
| Mia showed her love for platypuses everywhere |
 |
| Watching the food presentation |
 |
Counting to 60 to make sure the meat's cooked
Grace really took care of Sophie for the 3.25 hour meal.
It was the best gift she could have given me. She also gave me one of her pastel drawings. |
 |
| Smiling and chewing |
 |
The whole party
It was a bit of a risk to take our whole crew to The Melting Pot but it was wonderful.
The kids enjoyed the experience and were on their very best behavior.
The fact that we rarely go out to a sit down type restaurant as a family made it very special for all of us. |
 |
| The chocolate course is the best! |
 |
| Ella, looking like we all felt |
More celebrations:
The night after my birthday, I went out with a couple of friends. Jane's birthday is July 6th so we celebrated both of our days by going bowling and out to Chuy's. The photo above was taken at the only time I was leading. (Jane chose our names and I am very sure the she meant "Angel" ironically.)
I need some serious help with my game before I go again.
 |
| Jane, Michelle, Alice |
Celebrating at Camp Kreitzer. 41 candles for 41 years. We had glasses of water on hand.
 |
| Mom and Dad patiently light the cake |
 |
| I shared the cake with Alex who turned nine May 7th but hadn't celebrated with Grandma and Paka. So, I suppose we technically should have had 50 candles. |
 |
| 41 was plenty. In all the fun and excitement, I forgot to wish. |
 |
I blew out my one to grow on at The Melting Pot. I forgot to wish there too.
Thank you to everyone who sent an email or called to wish me a happy birthday. A special thank you to my brothers who both made the time to call this year. It was much appreciated. XXOOXX |
What a fun outing. I want to come next time!
ReplyDelete