Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Day Like Any Other

We've been making a lot of this snack mix which, as Chris says, is "highly addictive"

So, today was what I'd call a normal day.  We had our "quehaceres" or, normal to do's but nothing extra, which I count as a blessing.  We received a really wonderful Christmas card with extra good news.  Our friend Mary Akagi, someone very special who we've known from our KU days, moved home this year.  Home.  What a great word that is.  We're so happy for Mary and her family and even happier that home for them is now Lenexa, Kansas, the exact place where Chris' brother Kevin and family live.  The percentage chance that we will finally see Mary and family again?  I'd say 110%.  And on a side note, Mary annually wins my personal Christmas letter of the year contest.  She is so funny and honest in her letters.  I think she could write an award winning blog.
This evening, I also completed the oral exams for my students at Lone Star.  This semester, two hispanic girls enrolled in my class.  I told them at the very beginning that this was not the class for them but they persisted so tonight, Alice, la gringa, administered oral exams to native speakers.  Wow.  Crazy, but great too because in a small way, I was able to mentor these young girls.  One of them used the word "textear"--meaning "to text"--in her exam and I laughed.  Is that a word?  I need to look it up.  
I have to say again, I love my job.  It's a privilege.  And one I stumbled onto, so I have to thank God for it.
I'm having a little trouble getting into the Christmas spirit this year because I'm so far from home.  I would give a lot to spend the days after Christmas with those who fill me.  I want to see my nieces and nephews and tell them how much I love them.  We'll do it from afar in 2010 but hopefully, 2011 will find us at home, just like Mary.  It's time. 

 Look where we found Pip (Pippin) today

 My attempts at creativity do not stop with the camera.  I'm working on styles for short hair as well.

 Of course, Sophie is 100% adorable no matter what 

Grace got a comb stuck in her hair today.  It was still stuck when I got home from school.
She's okay but the comb is not.  Oh Grace!

 Grace likes to get on my computer (without permission) and pose 
so I often come back to photos like this.

This one made me tear up.  I love my kids.

I wish you a very great Friday!  Do something surprising.

1 comment:

  1. At one point last night, Grace was not doing what I had asked her to do, so I grabbed her by the comb and "steered" her back on task. She howled in pain. Maybe I should have left the comb in.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.