Thursday, January 12, 2012

Setting Goals Part II

It’s kind of funny that I am writing a post on goal-setting because I am not the world’s best planner. In fact, in the interest of honest disclosure, I must tell you that, when it comes to navigation, 9 times out of 10, I do not do my homework ahead of time and my instincts tell me to go the wrong way. Of course, it is because I am not naturally brilliant in this area that I have done a lot of reading and learning about it.

So, here—a few things that I keep in mind when setting goals (do as I say, not as I do :)

FIRST: What makes a goal worthy? My goals tend to be around being or becoming rather than having. In other words, I don’t set goals to buy things. I also try to avoid setting a goal involving a result that I have no control over. For example, while I may set a goal to run a 5K in certain amount of time, I would not set the goal to win my age group.  Personally, I don’t like goals that I may not meet even after a lot of hard work.  I like a sure thing.  That's just me.

MY MUSTS for GOAL SETTING:
*choose one or two at a time: I am not a good multi-tasker. Better to do one thing well.
*be able to break the goal into manageable daily or weekly actions: if I don’t have a plan for how to achieve the goal, it won’t happen.
*motivation is a must: I may think I kind of want to do something but if there are too many higher priorities and I am not determined, it will not work.
*consider my schedule—is this realistic right now?—when we are extremely busy, my goal may simply be to keep things going—laundry done, meals on the table etc. There is a time for goal setting and a time for maintenance.
*Keep the goals in front of my face: I have made detailed goals lists in the past that I’ve shoved in notebooks or drawers never to be thought of again. Needless to say, those goals were rarely achieved. I need reminders.
*make goal setting a routine part of life—this is a goal in and of itself--I would like to set monthly, weekly and daily goals as a way to challenge myself and do things I otherwise wouldn’t. Steven Covey writes about the importance of setting and achieving goals as a way to build confidence and trust in oneself. He uses the example of the person who wants to get up an hour earlier every day. Each time she hits snooze and fails to meet her goal, she loses confidence in her ability to do it. Of course, by dutifully getting out of bed instead of sleeping that extra hour, she proves to herself that she can be faithful in small things. This is the key to achieving bigger things according to Covey. The rule of thumb is that it takes 21 days to form a new habit so if you are working on exercise, eating better or getting up earlier, when you reach that 21 day mark, pat yourself on the back. It should start getting easier.

So, with all of these thoughts about goal setting, you might think I have a list of improvements to make in 2012. The truth is though, I have already been slammed this year with new work to clobber my schedule. I am teaching four different classes—two at Holy House, one Spanish class at the college and Madeleine’s confirmation class for a teacher whose husband is seriously ill. My focus has turned to my time management techniques as well as working with Chris on some budgeting goals that he has for 2012. Even within my busy-ness though, I can make my work more meaningful and fun by setting little goals. For example, I have taught the same class at the college three or four times now. Rather than roll out the same thing I’ve always done, what one or two things can I do to help my students get more out of it?  Things like that.

In case you’re interested, here are a few things on my “longer term but hope to act on sooner rather than later” goal list:

*live and travel in Spain with Chris and the girls for six months to a year
*help all the girls become fluent in Spanish as well as excellent writers
*buy a harp
*learn to knit
*adopt two dogs
*live on the east coast
*go on a photography trip/ workshop with C
*write a book or two or three

Inspired by Lou Holtz, Chris and I made a list of 100 things about 7 years ago. That list includes:

*Take flamenco lessons in Buenos Aires
*Take a cooking class in Europe
*Play all of the golf courses that host the Majors 
* Rent a convertible and explore Napa Valley
*Meet the pope
*etc

We made the list on a long car trip and it was excellent fun. We really had to dig deep to make it to 100. I guess you could call it a Bucket List but we made it before the movie so we don’t call it that.
That’s all folks.

Happy goal setting!  Happy living!  Happy Friday!


In other news, I landed safely in Maryland today and am missing these faces 
(the cute snowmen were made during craft time at the library last week)

 Missing this one too.  My oldest dame and I bonded over chalkboard paint last weekend.  Photos of our new and improved utility room/ walkway coming up soon....

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.