*Grace is writing a story. She worked on it over the weekend by dictating to Chris and then typing up what he wrote. A slow process to say the least. She's getting a lot of good feedback so far and an occasional, "Grace, did you make that up or steal it?" from her Dad. A few plot points from Magic Treehouse have crept into her work. I am super excited. Another writer in the family!
*I was washing Ella's hair tonight, saying, "such long hair--are you Rapunzel?" She said yes and then, "I want to be Mulan. I like her." I asked why and she said, "Because she saved her father." I'm thinking all of the people who lamented Chris' fate as the father of five girls may change their tunes in a few years when Ella goes to war in his place and saves the day.
*Madeleine has been making dinner all week. It was her gift to me because I've been extra busy lately. And, she truly loves to cook. All of the girls have been pitching in more on housework because they are hoping to be "hired" and paid. We were thinking of finding a maid service to come in twice a month but I'm thrilled that the girls are motivated to earn the money themselves. It makes a huge difference in my quality of life to have more help.
*I am teaching four separate classes this spring. It is really too much but I have to say, I love the challenge. At this point, I think I have taught every possible age group. I have formally taught Spanish, ESL, Swimming, Morality, Grammar, Writing and Grade 4 Religion as well as running the volunteer training sessions for Hospice. I was born to teach. I know this because, as a young lass, I spent a lot of time playing school with my stuffed animals. Mostly, I remember arranging them in their spots around my bedroom, making class lists and taking roll. Teacher's pet was a small purple rabbit named "Jellybean". I don't know if they learned much of anything but I sure was organized.
*I am holding a Best Husband contest. If you would like to enter your husband, please mail your 100 word essay about why he deserves the superlative "Best" after his name to: 3311 Three Pines Drive Kingwood, TX 77339. I should warn you though--this contest is rigged. Chris wins hands down. He made my trip "home" this weekend possible and kept our girls fed and happy while I was gone. I will never forget seeing all my Schadegg family. I will also remember forever the hug Uncle Larry gave me when I said, "Goodbye. I love you." He had been having trouble lifting his water bottle five minutes earlier but you'd never know it. His hug communicated more than he'd been able to say to me all weekend. It was strong--which is a part of the way I will remember him.
Thank you, Chris.
P.S.
Our sweet chef has very sensitive eyes
She confesses the goggles are almost as uncomfortable as the onion burn but--
Isn't she CUTE?

The goggles are adjustable...HELLO!
ReplyDeleteIt was tough to be at home with all the girls while Alice was gone...on divisional playoff weekend with four marquee match-ups in the NFL. And the U.S. Oylmpic Marathon Trials.
Now that the kids want to earn money to save for stuff, everything is a negotiation. "Grace, please take out the trash." "I will for forty dollars." "Fine, I'll just store it in your room."
So are we supposed to put our essays here? Dad has to be the best husband -- look at the results! I am thankful that he has had more influence on his kids than I have. So here goes although I'll probably be disqualified for going over the limit:
ReplyDeleteTo My Valentine
Marriage is a journey. You start out with two jogging along the path and others join for a time and then branch off on their own. You meet at rest stops along the way, but only the two of you continue together to the end. When the two are really in sync, the journey is like a marathon race, footsteps hitting the pavement together each urging the other on and ending with an exhilarating sense of accomplishment and joy. Sometimes it's hard to smile while you're running, but you always smile with the thrill of success when you cross the finish line.
If I had described my "ideal" husband as a teen, I probably would have described the romantic dream of an Ann Shirley: someone tall, dark, and handsome - and rich wouldn't hurt. I did, in fact, marry someone tall and handsome, but neither dark nor rich except in the things that really count: consideration, generosity, kindness, gentleness, and patience. At his retirement he was aptly described by his boss as a "true gentleman" and that is how I think of him. He illustrates more than almost anyone I know the qualities that St. Paul mentions when he describes the nature of love.
What a gift and a blessing it has been to call him my sweetheart for 42 years. I love you, Larry. Happy Valentine's Day.