Friday, August 26, 2011

Celebrate Good Times: All Kinds of News

Over the past week or so, I have been the bearer and recipient of all kinds of news.  This post is full of a bit of it all.

Let's start with some good news:

I have a new niece!  Her name is Bianca and as far as I can tell from the photos, she looks a lot like her big sis' Anya which means she'll look a lot like her daddy so....Jamie may have to wait a bit for her mini me :)  Bianca puts my parents' grandchild tally at XX with 12 girls and 8 boys.  We at Frodo Seven send out a Texas-sized congratulations to all of the Fullers and the whole Kreitzer gang!

more good news:  an earthquake rocked the east coast but no one was hurt.  bad news: it looks like Hurricane Irene is going to hit the Outer Banks, the beach where I took the photo in my header.  We feel for the families who had to evacuate this week in the midst of vacation (been there, done that) and for those who will not be able to arrive this weekend as scheduled.  We're praying hard that no major damage is done to an area that is so special to all of us.
good news:  the streak of 100+ degree days finally ended this week at day number 24.  bad news:  it's back up to 102 today.  good news:  we don't live in the desert areas of California where I hear it's over 110 degrees.




bad news:  We lost Hunter Pence to the Phillies--but you already knew that didn't you?  I'm in denial.  The Phillies come to Houston September 13th.

interesting news:  I asked Chris to pretty please go to the store last minute to buy some supplies the girls needed for sewing class.  The list included things like seam rippers, pin cushions and two yards of material for their first project.  I'm not sure how many guys would be able to find the sewing section of Walmart much less complete the task but I am proud to be married to one of them.  He also makes great breakfasts and calls me "darling".

sad news:  Steve Jobs' resignation as CEO of Apple.  I may have been the last person on earth to hear that he's been sick.  How hard must it be to step down--not to enjoy retirement-- but, I'm guessing, to die?  Particularly for someone like him.  Ever since Chris and I read iCon, I have admired Steve Jobs for his extraordinary talent and leadership ability.  And what a castle he built.  Apple topped Exxon recently as the world's most valuable company.  Of course, in the end, we all end up the same or to quote OAR "we all break the same".  Whether you're a billionaire or a homeless person, you don't get to take it with you.  That must be harder for the billionaires, don't you think?  Please join us in praying for Steve Jobs and his family.

news that most impacts my life:  Thursday morning, I woke up with a job starting Monday and by lunchtime, I was unemployed again.  My class didn't make.  Such is the life of an Adjunct Professor.  I've decided I can put this in the good news category.  I love teaching because of the opportunity it gives me to don the professional hat for a few hours each week but this semester, I need time more than money or "dabbling".  I am also officially tired of teaching Spanish I.  For the past two years, my boss has been encouraging me to train to teach online and I am finally abandoning my ideals and going over to the dark side.  (I have this funny idea about the importance of personal contact where teaching is concerned).  Most of the growth in enrollment at the college is in the online category though so basically, if I want to have anyone to teach, I'd better adapt.

final news:  Today was the first day of Super Friday, an enrichment type of home school program for the girls and a free morning for me.  Sophie was the most reluctant and clutched my hand tightly--not surprising.  She also told me she wanted to be with Ella so she could "help her with things".  Ella wanted to be with Mia so Mia could help her on the potty.  Grace eagerly laid out her outfit the night before and skipped off to join her group without a backward glance.  When we talked about our "happy places" the other day, Grace told me hers was Super Friday.  I observed that she hadn't been there yet and she informed me that it was "made for fun--kids have to have fun there".  I hope that's true.  I'll keep you posted.

Have a very happy weekend!

The best thing about a new school year?  Definitely the gear!

1 comment:

  1. what a great post! Loved reading all about the good things going on in Houston.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.