I have always loved to name things. It may have started when my parents let four-year-old me choose between two names for my second little brother. My choices were Brian or Neil. I remember my criteria for choosing Neil. I thought it went much better with Alice and David. Alice, David and Neil worked better than Alice, David and Brian. I have a feeling Neil could have been a much different person as a Brian and since I like him the way he is, I am quite content to have chosen the best of names for him.
When Chris and I were first married, I drove him crazy with my name shopping. Pregnant or not, I was always on the lookout for favorites. I collected enough to name twice the number of children the woman in the shoe had living with her. The five we gave our girls are so incredibly perfect. Each fits its owner, is very feminine and will work whether she marries a prince or a rock star or dons a habit.
Our dames seem to have inherited my love of naming things. All of their babies and animals have unique ones--except Ella's--she names all of hers Chaucer. This week, the girls decided to change their own names and asked me to call them "Samantha/ Sam" (Mia), "Mary/ Martha" (Grace), "Violet" (Sophie) and "Penelope" (Ella). Madeleine likes her name as it is and I was really the initiator of Ella's "Penelope", a name I've always loved. The girls are insisting on calling me and Chris "ma" and "pa". I'm trying to play the part though I am 100% certain that I have less than a quarter of Caroline Ingall's patience. Oh--and I can't make much of anything from scratch.
Tata till next time,
Alice
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.