Friday, August 19, 2011

Celebrate Good Times: Listening In

Something I heard from one of my dames yesterday made me smile.  Sophie had a friend over--an occasion of much excitement for all the girls because they all tend to play together.  They were playing with the blocks and princess figures and, when we all sat down to lunch, Grace explained to the other girls how things would go when they began their game again.  "You'll be the princess and then Jadis will come over the hill..." "You know, Jadis, the white witch".  Be still my heart.  As true Narnia aficionados know, in The Magician's Nephew, readers find out about the beginnings of Narnia and how the White Witch--Jadis--came to be there.  Grace has listened to the series on CD several times, enough apparently for it to have permeated her imagination.  I love that.  Hooray for good books and authors like CS Lewis who share their own wonderful imaginations with the rest of us!

At dinner, Chris shared some jokes with the girls including the "Who's on First?" routine.  Afterward, he pulled the real thing up on the computer for them to hear and watch.  A special bonding moment.  Chris is really struggling now that there are no good Astros stories with which to entertain us.  For awhile, he told "HP goes to the Phillies" stories.  Those made me so sad he had to stop.
Madeleine told me something interesting today.  Her fellow guard Cade gave her some advice on one of their breaks, "You know, if you ever sneak out of the house to meet your friends, you may want to be careful.  There are cops around."  Apparently he'd been picked up at 4 AM after sneaking out.  Madeleine laughed and said, "Cade, I'm a nerd.  I don't do things like that."  Madeleine has been promoting her "nerd" identity lately.  She is very proud of all the time she spends reading and babysitting.  Me too.  And in Madeleine's honor, I am starting a campaign called, "embrace your inner nerd".  Self-proclaimed nerds are the best kind.

And on that note--have a very nerdy weekend!  I plan to read a lot, wear my glasses, pull my pants up Urkel style and completely embarrass my children :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.