Sunday, March 18, 2012

Rodeo Houston Part I

Making Friends
Despite the mild Houston-bashing in my last post, there are certain things I love about Texas.  In fact, all of the things that people normally associate with Texas--cowboy hats and boots, country music, enormous pick up trucks--are favorites of mine.  And of course, the rodeo. 
Friday was full of family fun.  We started at a performance of The Velveteen Rabbit.  We knew the novice actor who played the boy but the rest of the cast were full-time actors for the company.  The play was done in the round and was very impressive.  To prepare the girls to really understand and enjoy it, we had listened to the story several times and discussed some of the themes and ideas--the meaning of "real" and "love" among them.  I love discussing literature with the girls.  They are critical thinkers in the making and I always come away from our conversations feeling both humbled and proud.
After the play, we enjoyed a healthy lunch (in preparation for rodeo fare) and headed to Reliant.  Below, our day in pictures.  It was relaxed and fun.  We missed Madeleine who spent the day celebrating a friend's birthday.

The (free) tram from the parking lot was a favorite ride:)

Mia's nod to Señor Pence



I told the girls ahead of time that they had to earn their rodeo treats by smiling for mama
They're always pretty good models but they really earned their treats on Friday!
Mia and Grace, underfoot
The rodeo was a goldmine of great backgrounds for photos.  Here, one of our stars.


Follow along for more rodeo fun next post!


Velveteen Rabbit pics:


1 comment:

  1. 17 years in the Houston area and I have yet to go to the rodeo.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.