Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Be Mine Valentine 2012

The Grand List
 How I love Valentine's Day!  It is a day made for romantics, poets, troubadours and--me.  I am a word person.  I love words.  And I believe in the power of words--and communication--to heal all that ails us.  Especially families.  Who doesn't need to hear, "I understand you", "I forgive you" and "I love you"?
So, every February, I am on the lookout for supplies to make the cards that will carry our missals of love to family far away and close by.  I drop a very large sum of money at Michaels on everything from stickers to ribbon to lots and lots of glue.  I love it.  It's almost as much fun as buying school supplies.
This year, we made an especially impressive array of greetings.  First, we made "The Grand List" and picked names.  My first card was for Brendan and I went all out.  It had a guitar theme and included a picture of Mr. B jamming.  It wasn't hard to fill a page with all the things I love about him.  I just wish I didn't have to wait eleven months between hugs.
Chris made a card for our other,  next-oldest god child, Rachel.  Of the two of us, Hallmark would definitely hire him.  He did a very creative and professional job.

Sophie was a grand artiste.  She took this very seriously and did her best work.

Chris at work.  Ella helps.
Stickers!

Madeleine invited friends over for Valentine making, lunch and treats
and mustaches!

card for cousin Jonathan

people by Sophie

Chris' cards:

Chris' tradition is to make the girls fairly elaborate cards using photos and magazine cut-outs.  They are simply wonderful and I know the girls will treasure them forever.  This year, he got a late start and stayed up half the night completing the task.





 Madeleine's gifts to me.  Precious hija.

My valentine.  Best gift.

If you mean it, share it.  Say it.  On Valentine's Day and every day.  Why not?

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am always impressed with Chris' valentines. I love Madeleine's. Where did he even find that picture. Clearly to do that you have to be clever and quick. You can't come up with an idea and hope to find something in a magazine, so you have to come up with an idea for a picture. That one was great. Perfect dad sentiment and perfect picture to represent it. Well done, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved our valentines. Hugs, hugs, hugs. You just get postcards from us! But I hope the number of them made up for no valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris' valentine made me laugh. Were you speaking from experience, Chris?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.