Friday, January 15, 2010

Retraction

So, I'm going to take a step backward and retract something I said in my last post.  To quote myself, 

Peter's story is about faith too but, taken out of context, it is easy to interpret this passage as one of self-discovery--of finding out what you're made of by doing something risky.  According to that interpretation, I should follow Peter's example and start jumping out of the boats in my life.  I don't think that's it. 

I take that back.  It is about that but it's not only about that.  I'll continue with that thought next time.

One more thing before I go.  In my first post about this, I talked about how Peter recognized Jesus by His voice.  This is consistent with the Good Shepherd Discourse.  About the Good Shepherd, Jesus said, "the sheep follow him because they recognize his voice.  But they will not follow a stranger; they will run away from him, because they do not recognize the voice of strangers" John 10: 4-5.  I thought I should expand on that and talk a little bit about how, in our noisy world, we can learn to recognize Jesus' voice.  Then I realized I already had.  About five years ago, I wrote an article for my mom's newsletter on this very topic.  If you're interested in reading it, click here.  Otherwise, I'll catch you back here again soon.  Take good care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.