Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Different Question for Tara

So, the reason I have waited so long to resume blogging after my holiday is that I had hoped to start the new year by announcing that my little sister had finally qualified for Boston--here in Houston--with me cheering her on and giving her a big hug at the end.  That's not exactly how things happened but maybe after you read the story of our morning, you will agree that its ending might be an even better new beginning for Frodo Seven than the one I'd planned.
When I woke up this morning at the ungodly hour of


(I can honestly say that I don't remember the last time I got up that early--I'm glad to know I still have it in me), I thought the question of the day was "Will Tara make Boston?"  And that was certainly on all of our minds as Chris, Tara and I made the one hour drive to Sugarland and exited the warm car into a dark, 27 degree Texas morning.  After an opening sub-eight minute mile (too fast) followed by two more miles of continuing numbness in her legs, some knee and foot pain and the thought that maybe it wasn't a good idea to run her third marathon in the same pair of shoes, Tara knew that she wasn't feeling it and this wasn't her race.  When Chris started running with her at mile 13, she told him as much.  He had expected to have to do some hard coaching during the last 5K but wasn't quite sure what to do when faced with a crying Tara who wanted nothing more than to "lay down and die right here".  And really, why not stop?  At that point, she knew that Boston was off the table and she'd already answered the question "Can I finish a marathon?"--twice in DC and once in Philly.
At that moment, her question changed.  It was no longer "Will I make Boston?"  Now, it was, "Do I have what it takes to finish?--not any marathon but this marathon--today--in these conditions--freezing cold, boring course, passing the finish line not once, not twice, but three times before finally crossing it, with my brother-in-law running next to me, cheerfully insisting that I can still PR and my sister embarrassing me with her goofy get-ups and loud yelling?"  The answer to that question mattered and in under four hours, Tara crossed the finish line to complete a marathon for the fourth time.  Not only that, but she and Chris sped up at mile 25 to pass the woman who would've taken 2nd in the 30-39 age group so Tara is now the proud owner of a plaque for second place in her age group in a marathon--we're still waiting to hear where she placed overall.
After the race, a man who overheard her when she told Chris that she wanted to "lay down and die right here" came up and asked her if she still felt that way and she replied honestly---"yes".  He told her, "I tried to keep up with you guys but I just couldn't do it.  Good race".  Isn't it amazing that at a point when Tara thought she couldn't go one more step, she still "brought it" enough to outrun her competitors?  I'm sure that's humbling.
So, today was just one more stop on Tara's road to Boston--a day when the question was still not so much about her speed but about her commitment and guts.  Which, coincidentally relates to the theme I've chosen for Frodo Seven for 2010.  More on that later this week.
For now, Tara and the residents of Casa Doyle are planning a delicious dinner, margaritas and talk of her next try for Boston.

There they go!  And that's 17.

The race director congratulates Tara on her second place finish
How many people can cross "placed in a marathon" off their bucket list?

A stop for photos at our favorite Houston landmark

Tomorrow--more photos and race stories
& Wednesday--Stop by to begin a new year of Frodo Seven!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a 2nd place finish, Tara! And kudos to Chris for being an awesome coach. Thanks for blogging again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alice - what an awesome big sister you are. Ditto from what ALL Amy said - CONGRATS TARA! You guys are such an inspiration to me. When I think I'm too busy - I think of you guys with 4 or 5 little ones and I get off my buns and walk. Amy has challenged me to walk 365 miles in 365 days. Sounds easy, but with the snow, it has proven to be a little challenging. Hugs to you all. Love, Aunt Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...my sister embarrassing me with her goofy get-ups and loud yelling."

    What the author didn't tell you is how famously cold it was for the fans and support crew on marathon morning. The runners could at least keep the body stove stoked via constant motion, but Alice cheerfully braved the ridiculous weather (hey, we are Texans) to cheer not only Tara but the other runners as well. And Lawrence supported from afar in spirit and well, someone had to pay for the plane fare! Big thanks to the support crew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I'm so proud of all of you. (You too, Libby.) I've fallen off the wagon on my walking which I did pretty much through the autumn. Oh well. My bucket list never had run a marathon on it. But I sure admire those who have the desire and the commitment to see it through. Hey, Tara, how about the iron man. You've got the running and the swimming down.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.