Friday, January 15, 2010

A Sure Thing

So, where were we?  After hearing His voice, Peter recognized His Lord, told him what to say and stepped out of the boat.  
I mentioned last time that this was Peter's idea, not Jesus'.  I wonder why.  If stepping out of the boat was such a great idea, why didn't Jesus initiate it?  Perhaps, it was because, for the most part, weak human beings need boats--boats like covenantal marriages, traditional families, the Catholic Church.  When God wanted to save Noah and his family from the great flood, He commanded him to build a boat.  Can I even imagine God calling Noah to come out of the ark and walk on the water?  What would that have accomplished?  Noah's faith had already been tested and he had proven it by doing what God commanded.
Peter's story is about faith too but, taken out of context, it is easy to interpret this passage as one of self-discovery--of finding out what you're made of by doing something risky.  According to that interpretation, I should follow Peter's example and start jumping out of the boats in my life.  I don't think that's it.  As I read it, Peter was betting on a sure thing.  He knew what would happen--knew the way that St. Cecilia and St. Thomas More knew what was coming when they said to their executioners, "I forgive you readily.  You send me to God."  That is faith built on trust.  And Peter knew that he could trust Jesus because Jesus had always proven Himself trustworthy.


I think that's enough for now.  If you're wondering why Frodo Seven has suddenly turned into a bible study, this is all an attempt to explain what I mean when I say "Stepping out of the Boat".  I am finding that it is a bit trickier than I expected.  Thank you for bearing with me.  See you here next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.