Getting Ready to Bring It!
Grace is Tara's god-daughter so I took her with me to the airport Friday afternoon. After picking up her aunt, we headed to the Gallería area to collect Tara's race packet at a place called "Fit Foods". They call themselves a take out restaurant that serves all things healthy, organic and likely to help you live forever. Check out the refrigerator behind G and Tara--they look like astronaut meals to me--guaranteed to keep you trim even if you happen to be Stuart Little.
Sunday 6:55 AM
T minus five minutes
And they're off
I like this photo because it shows Chris performing his duties as pacer and entertainer. He apparently told Tara the entire story of his life beginning with his illustrious career as a t-baller, including things I've never even heard. I guess I'll have to run a marathon.
The other reason I like this photo is because...well, check out the runner in front.
Here--a compassionate fellow runner goes a few paces with Tara to give her a "you go girl" pep talk after which Tara and Chris ran on ahead. One of the things I love about marathons is seeing the way people pull together. It reminds me of the scene in An Officer and a Gentleman where Mayo goes back to help his classmate get over the wall. To me, that is the kind of behavior that distinguishes the real winners and I saw a lot of it yesterday.
Look at that smile. She's about to finish.
One of the interesting things about this race was that the marathoners passed the slower half marathoners as they finished. The man in the coat behind Tara to the left was a half-marathoner. As I waited at the finish, I could distinguish the marathoners because of their confident strides and strong finishes. All those extra miles they'd put in showed.
Post Race Silliness
I think the point of this photo is that Tara wants Craig Biggio to be her
Sherpa next time around.
Apropos
A champ poses with the Astros' championship flags
C and T
After we cheered Tara on at mile 7 or so, Chris turned to me and said, "I wish I had a sister like you." I think that may be one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. (of course, if he did have a sister like that, I probably wouldn't like her much :)
One of the photos I did not include here is the one of me in my crazy cheering costume. Every time we saw Tara, I had on a different wig or other item from the bottom of the dress-up box. My thinking was that if she could focus for a second on how ridiculous I looked it would distract her from the pain. Since you are presumably not in excruciating pain as you read this, I will save myself a little embarrassment and let you use your imagination--If you decide to run a marathon though, give me a call. I'm becoming quite the good marathon duela.
I like this one a lot and, speaking of duelas, I
think she probably looked this perky after natural childbirth too.
Congrats again, T!
I love all these pictures, I want copies!! And I love you!! Thank you (and Chris) again for everything! I consider the weekend a complete success. I feel like I learned what I was made of in that race. The execution of the race was a lot like my first marathon in that I started out too fast in both and totally crashed and burned both times. But in that first one, although I did end up finishing, I mentally checked out and gave up. Because of Chris, I pulled it together and finished with everything I had left... total success! In addition, I have a wallet that makes me smile every time I look at it. That of course could be a bad thing if I make excuses to buy things just to use said wallet. ;)
ReplyDelete