Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Little Gifts


One of my favorite things about our time in Virginia is all of the running, walking and hiking we do.  In fact, before we were here twenty-four hours, Grace was asking when we were going to go up a mountain.  We asked her if she meant the drive up to Woodstock tower and she said "yes",  but I think she may have been thinking of the four mile hike up another mountain that we did last summer with her cousins.
In any case, there is never a shortage of places to go or things to see here.  On Sunday morning, I did my first run around the block (a 3.7 mile loop that goes up and down hills and almost into downtown Woodstock).  As I rounded a corner to climb Cemetery Hill, a buck jumped out of the woods onto the road.  I only got to see him for a second because as soon as he saw me, he leapt away but it was an incredible treat to be so close to such a beautiful creature even for a moment.  
On Monday, when Mom and I took our first of hopefully many "dam" walks, we saw another deer as she walked from the woods down to the river for a drink.  I had my camera ready that time.
Then the other night, I walked out onto the front porch at sunset just in time to see a hot air balloon floating over the trees.  Again, I got only a glimpse before it sailed on but if I close my eyes, I can see it again, peacefully hanging between heaven and earth.
Like many people, I have travelled far away to meet new people and see impressive sights.  And that was fun and valuable.  Like Dorothy though, I have learned that if I want to find my heart's desire, I don't need to look any farther than where I am today because that is where God is showing me through little gifts that He is here and He loves me. 


There's not much I'd rather do than walk and talk with my mom.
I find her to be very wise.
On this walk, we walked so hard we put Sophie and Ella to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.