I'll never forget the day my Uncle Rick turned 30. We called him and laughed while my brother David played taps on the sax. I'm humming taps today because today, July 6, 2009 is my little sister Tara's 30th birthday. The music is actually for me because if she's 30, I am...well, let's stay on topic. If you were to meet us for the first time, you might not guess that Tara and I are sisters. First there's the height thing. She's tall and I'm not. Then there's the fact that she's a no nonsense math person and I'm more into literature and language. And while I am immersed in pink and princesses, she lives surrounded by mostly boys. We are indeed sisters though. I have pictorial proof.
(I think Mom and Dad still have those Raggedy Ann pillowcases). I also have this list:
Top Ten Reasons I Know Tara is my Sister
#1 We're both suckers for sappy country songs. If I am reduced to tears upon hearing a song for the first time, it's a near certainty that it's already a favorite of Tara's.
#2 We're both "Runner Girls". Tara can run as fast as Forrest Gump and I've been running just as long as he has. Also--we can both reach down and "bring it" to an all out sprint to the mailbox at the end of a run.

Placers in the Liberty 5K 2006
#3 We both have issues with low riding jeans and occasionally reveal a little more than we'd like.
#4 We'd both rather run a marathon or workout three hours a day than diet.
#5 We both had the good fortune to fall in love with younger men. Of course, we had to kiss a couple of frogs first. In fact, come to think of it--one of Tara's exes looked a lot like a frog.

Another of Tara's exes
#6 If you want to get either of us mad fast, try convincing us that a woman's right to choose comes ahead of a baby's right to life. (Or put an Obama bumper sticker on your car and drop your kids off at a Catholic school.)
#7 We're both swim moms who proudly cart our athletes and their gear around in our stylish Honda Odysseys.
#8 We both survived natural childbirth multiple times before opting for epidurals with our youngest babies, Ella and Sean. We agree there's no going back.
#9 We both know how to have fun. Tara is always a great sport about the things I think might be fun that require her to do scary or embarrassing things--cliff jumping and family karaoke come to mind. She has a great sense of humor and I just love to be with her.

Another thing I thought would be fun
#10 Finally, we are sisters by birth....
....friends by choice.
I love you, T. I'm so proud of you.
I hope your birthday is amazing!
And in case you thought that t-shirt was your only gift.....
here's a birthday message from someone you know.
"Tara, a bit of advice for your birthday...if you happen to fall down a well and come up through a sewer into Manhattan, don't panic. I'll be along shortly. Happy 30th!"





Happy Birthday, Tara, I miss you. Regards, Keanue.
ReplyDeleteAwwww... what a sweet post, Alice! Thank you! I'm excited we're getting to spend a lot of time together this year. Maybe we should make Houston a yearly thing, the Lauderdales take over Kingwood? See you soon!
ReplyDelete