One Sunday mid-June, Chris and I saw a post in our church bulletin seeking host families for "The Fresh Air Fund", an organization founded in the 1880s to give kids from New York's inner city an opportunity to spend a week or two enjoying "fresh air" in the country. Children go to homes all the way from Canada to Virginia and, this summer, one came to our house.
We requested a girl--for obvious reasons--between the ages of 6 and 10. The local Fresh Air rep, tells me that our match happened faster than any she's seen. In fact, it was exactly two weeks from our interview with her to the arrival of Meredith on July 12.
Meredith is hispanic, a serendipitous coincidence since we did not tell anyone with Fresh Air that I speak Spanish. When I called her mother a few days before her arrival though, that common link helped establish an understanding that made everyone feel more comfortable with what is, really, an unusual situation.
Below, I am going to post a few photos...a lot of photos...of the visit. They don't tell the whole story though. Most importantly, they don't show how much I loved being her host mama. She fit right in with our gaggle of gals from the start and was sweet and helpful the whole visit. She is smart, artistic, incredibly determined and a pleasure to be around.
We had a few big bumps during the week with home sickness. Meredith lives with her mother, grandmother and little sister with a large extended family close by and is obviously close to all of them. While I was glad to see the strong family ties, I still hoped that my goal for Fresh Air would be realized and we would establish a relationship with Meredith and her family extending beyond the week.
Up until the day she left, when one of the girls would mention her coming back "next summer", Meredith would give me a knowing look. I would respond, "Meredith needs a little time to consider that after she gets home but she knows she's welcome". Of course, the little girl had found her place in my heart and the thought of not seeing her again hurt.
Even with five beautiful, rowdy girls, I don't feel like my lap is full. Compared to both my grandmothers' 10 kids, my family seems small to me. I have wondered about adoption but know friends who have gone that route with much difficulty. Despite the reward, neither Chris nor I is sure we are up to those kinds of challenges. The opportunity with Fresh Air represented to me a chance to "adopt" on a very small scale and to help another family.
As it turns out, our story had a happy "ending". After an emotional week of wondering whether Meredith's homesickness would send her home early, Meredith was emotional about leaving. She was ready to go but, as she waved madly from the bus window, I knew she would miss us.
Two days after her departure, I received this email:
Hi Ms.Doyle it's meredith I made it home safely thanks for everything.Next year are you signing for the Fresh Air Fund again? I would like to go there again.I miss Alfred.
I cried. And headed out to buy that pooch a treat or two.
Arrival of the bus from New York
The kids got off one at a time to be matched with their families
Meredith's room for the week
We planned on her having her own space just in case she needed it. As it turns out, she sleeps in the living room at home and wanted company. Sweet Mia slept on the floor on a mat all week.
(I included this photo because right after Meredith left, we took this bed down and put up a bunk bed for Sophie and Ella. The room looks a bit different.)
DAY ONE
The day after Meredith arrived, Chris and I took care of our friends' six kids. This had been planned for some time and we didn't want to cancel but we had a strategy to take Meredith off by herself if she got overwhelmed by the whole thing.
She was fine
Here, her first fish!
Frogging, fishing, having fun
Then things got a little crazy
Kids jumping in the pond, boarding "enemy" boats, pulling each other off
They had a ton of fun
Chris and I were both on hand as lifeguards in case you are worried about the number of kids in that boat or the fact that Meredith can't swim
Sophie in flight
a little calmer
Not featured in the photos is the bonfire at lunchtime. Hot dogs, s'mores and lots of fun.
DAY TWO
Mass and then a trip to Einstein's bagels
Meredith loved Einstein's bagels and asked to go back daily
We spent the afternoon at the pool. Meredith loves to swim but cannot manage water over her head yet. The next day, I had to jump in and save her when she tried the slide at the Y. I admired her "chispa" for trying it and I think the rescue bonded us a bit.
Post-swim trip to King Cones
We love King Cones
Meredith did not like here choice much. Lesson learned--always sample.
Mama--are you sure I should have this much?
Ella's "best part" at King Cones is sitting on the little cow
Sure enough--she can't finish her cone
DAY THREE (Monday) We went to the Y. The older girls played in the lounge and on the courts while I took a class. Then, we all went to the pool where I composed a blog post in my head about how I hate stupid rules. The Y really has a lot of stupid rules around the pool one of which involves no cameras on the pool deck. Another is that kids 6 and under have to be swimming within arms' length of their parents at all times. I had planned to watch the girls and didn't have my suit so, until I had to jump in in my workout clothes to save Meredith and figured I might as well swim, Ella was not allowed to swim. Oh sweet irony--Ella, at 5, is a fish and can swim a length and tread water etc. Meredith, almost 10, can't really swim yet. Stupid rules. They are all around us.
So, because of the camera rule, I did not take any photos of our afternoon at the Y. We did introduce Meredith to Chik Fil A that day. She liked Chik Fil A a lot too. She kept talking about "Pennsylvania food" which made me smile.
The second half of the week coming up next time.
Stay cool y'all


















I'm so glad you started blogging again so we could see and hear about your week with Meredith! What an awesome program. I wonder if anything like that exists for city kids in the midwest? I know a few country families that would really be great hosts:)
ReplyDelete