Monday, February 6, 2012

Sacred Objects

 These boots have a history.  When I see them, I see Mia running, in shorts or a skirt, wearing them for the millionth day in a row.  She wore them till they were much too small and were quite hole-y.  She wore them for Halloween when she was Blessed Kateri.  She wore them through the summer because she liked them so much.  Then, last weekend, she added them to a pile of things for Goodwill.  Like the Velveteen Rabbit, they are destined for the trash heap but for me, these boots are "real".  I wouldn't be surprised if they started running and dancing on their own!  They are sacred objects because they were one with some precious feet for a season or two.  Letting them go will be, in a sense,  to let go of the Mia who wore them as well.  In her place is a new, older Mia.  It is at once a joy and a sorrow to watch these changes and while I long to save every single sacred object from their childhood, I don't have enough room in the house to bottle up all of the wonderful artifacts that remind me of my girls.  Letting go is truly an art....

Mia's "peace" shoes.  I may have to hold on to these........(while I'm perfecting the art :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this, Alice. I told Kevin just the other day that I want to do a blog post on books that we've had that are on their last leg. I used to think Cecilia was hard on books when she was a baby but Joseph is in a league of his own. I get sad when I see a book that I remember reading to Cecilia dying a slow death.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.