I'm on a roll writing about the more serious side of life and today, I'd like to share another story about my godfather, my Uncle Larry, who "shed the surly bonds of earth" on Friday, January 27.
Growing up, I was very aware that the men on my mom's side of the family considered talent in the areas of math and science to be superior to any other. This was problematic for me because I did not particularly like either. For years, I was apologetic about my leanings toward literature and drama and the fact that I was majoring in--gasp--Spanish. It took time for me to understand that genius comes in many disguises and Truth can be found across disciplines. Still, I never would have imagined my science/ engineering-minded Uncle Larry's brain to have softer leanings as well.
When I visited him two weeks before his death, I noticed a little book with a leather cover that he had set out for my cousin Caryn. Caryn was there and she talked about making copies because it was full of things her dad had written. There were reflections on life and even poetry. I felt chills run down my spine as I read. My uncle was a poet! How was it possible that I'd never known that?
How well do we ever know someone? In this case, it had been a decade since I'd been in touch. Living so far away, I don't see very much of my extended family. Even if I'd seen him though, would I have known what questions to ask to get to the heart of things? Probably not. More to the point--would I have dared? I hope so but probably not.
Below is one of the things Uncle Larry wrote in his book. My cousin printed it on the back of the program for his funeral Mass. I think it shows that my uncle had not only intelligence but wisdom as well:
The greatest gift God has given to individual man is the power to rationalize and think. Within the limited framework of earth, the power to think is that element which makes each individual unique. Then, for each of us to better know God within the limitations of our environ, we should strive to use our individual gift in such a manner that we continuously grow in capability while maintaining the knowledge that until we merge with God, we are but one small part of His collective mind.
LMS
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.