Monday, June 21, 2010

Trust Me, I'm a Jedi

So, our Father's Day 2010 was both fun and surprising. It started with breakfast by Madeleine and gifts from the girls, the most interesting of which was Sophie's. Not wanting to be without a gift to give her dear Dad, she raced upstairs before breakfast, grabbed Grace's Silvermist fairy toothbrush that she secretly covets, wrapped it in tissue paper and presented it to Chris. Pretty funny.
Later, Chris and I had an hour to work out together--a rare but much-appreciated treat. On the way home, we got a phone call from some friends with Father's Day wishes and we invited them for dinner. We spent a couple of hours at the pool, went to Mass and had a full table and a very fun meal.

My gift to Chris was this:


I thought it was appropriate because we are big Star Wars fans and I think Chris would make an excellent Jedi. He has the discipline and the honor code and I have no doubt that he'd be really good with a light saber. There's also the fact that he never stops fighting for me and the girls--which is part of what makes him a great father. He has been doing some dragon-slaying for me recently and though I consider myself capable of kicking some booty when necessary, I am old-fashioned enough to want my strong, courageous husband to have my back. Which he does. He's also very protective of the girls and had to get tough with a little boy who slapped one of them on the butt recently. Chris let him know immediately that that would not be happening again. It was good for the girls to see their Dad protect them in that way and probably good for the little boy too.

So, the other gift Chris opened last night is this puppet.

When Chris first broke him out, he sounded a lot like the first mate in the pirate's quartet. It wasn't long before he acquired the accent of an Italian chef though. I think his name is Linguini. The girls are very excited to add another entertainer to the dinnertime mix.

Below are a couple of other photos from our night. I hope the three dads in our lives--Jack, Larry and Chris know how much they are loved and how thankful we are for them. And to my brothers and brothers-in-law--a very Happy Father's Day to you too! You are the best!

We had a bit of after dinner entertainment. The girls acted out a song from Beauty and the Beast. They did an excellent job and will be doing it again after we charge the video camera. We also broke out the karaoke microphone. Above, is Ella singing "Country Roads".

Amelia

Grandpa's girls

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Chris would definitely make a good jedi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed the girls up for Bible school today. Linda is delighted to have Madeleine as a helper again. Turns out the shirts are included. They are doing them as a craft. The girls are each in a different group this year. Can't wait to see you all!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.