It is April 3rd and the sun was up this morning in Western PA. I had big plans for the day and walked out the door, coffee in hand with a "spring" in my step, only to run into the fog of my own breath and feel the icy fingers of Old Man Winter dig into my skin as he whispered, "There is no such thing as spring." Later in the day, snow flurries.
I do not believe in spring. I'm not one of those people with pastel dreams of flowers and birds and butterflies. I think this must be Narnia with its endless winter. Only, we had a Christmas. One good thing.
I keep walking past the pile of snow garb left on the basement floor after the last ride down the sledding hill. It looks out of place, as if maybe it should move on. But then, lo and behold, it is needed again. I haven't even glanced at the "warm weather" clothes bins. What a joke! There is no spring.
Ella told me it said "spring" on the calendar awhile back. What do I say to her? I don't want to squash her innocent faith in the widely respected theory of the four seasons.
I hear it will be 61 degrees by the weekend. I'm betting on snow though. I do not believe in spring.
:)
ReplyDeleteSuch a nice read.