We moved! From hot and humid Kingwood, TX where we lived in a smallish house in a neighborhood to a rather large house on six and a half acres in the woods of western PA. Our situation is ideal for home schooling and raising kids. It is private and safe with lots of room to roam. I love the house and spent our first several months here attacking the unpacking and the set-up. We were out of boxes in two weeks! Now that that is done, I sometimes find myself wondering what to do with myself. We have wonderful neighbors but hardly ever see them. In fact, if I don't drive away from home, I don't see anyone other than my family and the wildlife that comes to call. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. I suspect that, all things being equal, I may have more of the city girl in me. But, all things aren't equal and I see more and more each day how good this life is for the girls.
Moving back to the east coast, I thought I knew what to expect, at least from the weather. It turns out that the four hours from Virginia (where I grew up) to Pennsylvania actually make a big difference. It is colder AND we have gotten so much snow this winter! It makes me laugh because on our house-hunting trip, every single person assured us that we should expect no snow this year. I ignored them and figured we would get enough to please our little croc-wearing Texans but---well, let's just say, I never knew there were so many KINDS of snow. It has been very interesting to watch and I have had many opportunities because it has snowed almost daily for the past month. Well, maybe not quite that much but close. I was starting to get grumpy and sound like every other person I've met here who hates the snow.
This morning, I woke to Chris saying, "you've got to see this!"
Outside our window, it was fairyland. By now, I have seen our backyard covered in snow more than a handful of times but this was different. I could tell looking at it that the scene would not last long. The inches of snow that decorated the tree branches were falling in chunks as I watched. So, I yelled to the girls to get up and put on snow gear and out we went for a few quick photos of the beauty that God gave us today.
"The wish"
Later in the day, I dragged the girls back out to make my first snowman of the season. We call this one "Family Portrait".
In case you can't guess who's who:
Before I fixed my snow person, it looked like I was trying hard to run away from Chris (which would have been difficult since he has his lightening-fast Newtons)
Baby G
Love how she decorated herself
Beautiful Madeleine--no braces!
E--posing for three seconds. She was carried to and from the site by big sis' Grace
Sophie and Ella weren't very interested in the building of their snow people but Sophie definitely got into the decorating. She even found a bead and a bell for her eyes. Chris commented that Sophie's snow person looked more like a snow mermaid. How appropriate!
ARD--swimming is her favorite thing.
From the back
When we let Alfred out, he barked and barked at the strangers in front of the house. Our neighbor stopped to take a picture. So, I guess we did a good job.
And now---Bring on the Spring!





What in the world is Ella doing outside in that dress? Hilarious!
ReplyDeleteJealous in TX!!! (and missing all of you)
ReplyDelete