Whenever I am having trouble keeping the girls moving through their schoolwork, I fall back on an old staple--I read to them. A lot. We have made our way through quite a few of the great works of children's literature. As we go, I ask them comprehension questions, "word detective" questions and we do basic analyses of settings, characters and themes (my Master's degree hard at work :). I know moms who gravitate toward math when all else fails--or spelling, or science. For me, it's always a story with at least one girl on my lap.
What I've noticed as we've read is that all of the great female characters that we come across are...characters. Anne Shirley, Jo March, Laura Ingalls, Helen Keller, (both biographical but still favorite "characters"), Heidi--we're reading that now. Not one can be described as docile, submissive or "good" in the sense of being completely traditional. They are fiery, curious, adventurous and interesting. They are leaders. Which makes me feel better about the house full of strong-willed ladies we are raising.
Just today, I assigned one of them to write "I will not shriek. It hurts Mommy's ears" ten times. I put another down for an immediate nap for being exceptionally defiant and listened to ear-piercing wails for fifteen minutes (it was truly an award-winning performance). I have to remind myself that this is not a contest of wills. I do not have to win. I just have to teach them how things work in our family and how to express their feelings and desires peacefully. Besides, if it were a contest of wills where the goal was to "break" them in the manner of wild horses, I would surely lose. Strong willed as I am, I am a bit weary after 15 years of parenting. Oddly enough, after all these years, I am still navigating the terrible twos. So--I have a lot of years to go and these days, when I see that look that stubbornly insists, "you can't make me", I sigh inside and want to say, "oh--do what you want--I'm going out for a margarita". (And sometimes I do.)
Love the story idea. Tucking that away in my upcoming bag 'o' tricks. And I say get as many ritas as you can. ;)
ReplyDeleteI bought some riesling this week that I fully intend to enjoy...after I catch up on some much needed sleep after staying out until almost midnight last night with some old friends. How old am I again?? Why am I out that late in the first place? lol
xoxo
If you lived in Spain (or even Miami), it'd be more like 5 AM. You ARE latina! :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the list of books/authors you listed... That is ABSOLUTELY an incredible "unit" of education right there. I don't remember all the details of my elementary school units as a kid, but I absolutely remember the books, and the lessons they taught just by being GOOD BOOKS.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you!
Well, now I know why my cousins called me 'coconut' because staying up to 5 a.m. doesn't sound like much fun at all. Crazy Mexicans...they do it too. Maybe I was just born old...yeah, that sounds about right. ;)
ReplyDeleteAMEN! Nothing like a Margarita at the end of a crazy day!
ReplyDelete"And though she be but little, she is fierce."
ReplyDelete— William Shakespeare (A Midsummer Night's Dream)
Abs and I saw this quote last night on Ceci's gymnastics teacher's shirt. Your post made me think of it. I bet Abby would have commented it also but I beat her to it! :)