Thursday, August 15, 2013

Erie-sistible

If pressed to make a list of my favorite things about our new home, I would have to put proximity to Lake Erie near the top.  Before moving here, I had never seen any of the great lakes.  It was worth the wait.  We have been twice to Northeast, PA, a charming Mayberry-esque town near not only the lake but multiple vineyards.  Recently, we visited Presque Isle in Erie for a quick get-away and swam in the lake for the first time (or--jumped in quickly and got right back out--you decide :)  The pictures tell most of the story of our extended date except they leave out the activity that took up most of our time--biking!  We biked 14 miles on Presque Isle one day.  The next, we stopped at Morraine State Park and did another ten or so.  We both love biking but haven't done much of it since....we got married.  Morraine State Park is less than 30 minutes up the road with an easy and beautiful trail.  Time to get the dames up to speed on their bike-riding!

 Much better.  I took this at our first stop on the Presque Isle bike ride.  I cannot emphasize enough how beautiful it was.  The trail is wide, easy and scenic.  


 The metropolis of Erie

 Lunch
This part of the diner is no longer in use but it was cool to go and
look at the menu from way back when.

 This car hop got stuck in the phone booth and is now part of the exhibit

 The functioning part of the diner was packed and the food was delicious.

The ice cream was also good but mine had a little problem :(
(photo by iphone)

After lunch, we hit the beach!
(photo by iphone)


We chose a part of the beach that was almost empty and hung out for hours.  In fact, it stays light so late here, we were still on the beach at 7PM with plenty of sun.  
I admit I haven't quite gotten used to that.

 We did have one neighbor

 but nothing to feed him

 The view to our right down the beach--gorgeous
one thing about our little dip into the water--it may look a lot like the ocean but there is a big difference that took me by surprise--no salt!  Of course not, it's a lake.  Still, very strange.

 The Presque Isle light house


 Goodbye friend

 Our accommodations

I took these photos because the girls had been asking what a "motel" is.  I don't know why but it was well before we planned our trip to Erie so it was unrelated.  This was not really what I had in mind for sleeping but Chris had looked it up, it had gotten great reviews and was very reasonable.  

 The "Glass House Inn" is a family-run business that's been around since the 50s.  And it was fine.  
For a motel.

 I liked this a lot.  I think if we ever have a pool we'll have to get one.  

 Sacred Heart Parish in Erie
Mass was beautiful and Chris and I were asked to bring up the gifts--something I haven't done since maybe Catholic School.  I took this photo with my phone and sent it to Father Peffley who loves angels.  In Mass, I was thinking about how awesome it is as a Catholic to know that no matter where you go in the world, Mass will be the same (except for the language of course).  Same readings, same responses, same order.  I love that.  It's truly a home away from home.
 brunch on the water
we were freezing but the view was worth it
(photo by iphone)

After our bike ride at Morraine, we stopped at a brewery in Slippery Rock, our first time there.
(photo by iphone)

 And here, a photo that sums up me and C.  The same but different.

If you have a chance, I highly recommend a trip to Erie.  It's Erie-sistible.  Truly.

And a PS

 Lake Erie in winter

 Here, Chris is standing on "ice dunes"--these are small waves that froze coming in--meaning, there are hollow pockets in there that could be dangerous so you should never ever walk on ice dunes...unless you happen to be a Marine...or very close to shore :)

Love this photo...and sweet guy.

¡Adios!

3 comments:

  1. The best part of the trip was the company. Funny picture of our beer...actually, what we normally do is order two beers that sound good and Alice gets to pick the one she wants. Lake Erie is so weird...huge (ocean-like) with a rock reef just off shore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful pics! Miss you guys!
    --Concha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of our fun wine-tasting trip. Our New England adventure was great. When shall we meet at Niagara Falls?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.